PDA

View Full Version : Question Standard or B&O??????

pitch3110
02-09-2009, 12:58 PM
Well after reading 21stCentury post, what's the view on the above?

I am sure there is no doubt that B&O is good, but is the standard set up THAT bad????

Build week is 14.09.09 so if I am wanting to add this (if I can) I better get on the blower.

ta

CarbonS4
02-09-2009, 01:06 PM
Had standard on the SE for 6 months and now have the B&O, and for me, its no contest the B&O every time. Both in Avant version, I would think the saloon is even better, due to the position of the rear speakers.
B&O sounds great with a DVD in as well :D

martin@wolfy
02-09-2009, 01:06 PM
I have the standard and have always wondered how good the b&o is, a few weeks ago i had a demo whilst mine was in for service and lucky enough it had b&o.

My thoughts were good looking speakers and the treble on the sound was a lot clearer however the overall sound in my opinion was not worth the extra. I think the standard has a lot fuller sound where the b&o is great treble and bass but the mid range seems to be a bit weak.

wolfy!!!

Jop
02-09-2009, 02:23 PM
not heard the standard so my opinion my not even matter here.
but the b&o sounds excellent. Its more than just a speaker system, you also have more control over the sound within the car.

ScottyUK
02-09-2009, 02:37 PM
I think the standard has a lot fuller sound where the b&o is great treble and bass but the mid range seems to be a bit weak.

One of the big annoyances of the B&O is that you can only play with bass and treble. I was really surprised. On the standard you can play with mid-range. I was actually expecting a graphic equaliser on the 3g B &O :(

p.s. Still love it and was gob smacked how good the DVD sounds. If it's not 5.1 then it certainly sounds like it with full front to rear etc.

Dtom
02-09-2009, 03:05 PM
I have the B&O on my SE and the sound is great, I had a premium sound system on my previous car and the B&O is easily as good but I didn't know how good until I had a loaner A4 with the standard system and that really showed me how good the B&O is. IMO the standard system is far inferior.

David

21stCentury
02-09-2009, 05:26 PM
Well after reading 21stCentury post, what's the view on the above?

I am sure there is no doubt that B&O is good, but is the standard set up THAT bad????

Build week is 14.09.09 so if I am wanting to add this (if I can) I better get on the blower.

ta

See my further comments on the original post.

kavithakrar
02-09-2009, 05:28 PM
Get the B&O...

If it is about the cost, then sell the wife/child/kidney/tv (whatever) and still get the B&O....

you will only be disappointed if you don't, but if you do... you will smile everyday when listening to the iPod...

robtt09
03-09-2009, 08:57 AM
You have got to remember when ordering anything extra on your car that when you come to sell it will be worth very little or nothing at all.The only extra where you will get decent money back is automatic gearbox and even their you suffer 50% loss.One of my friends is a Beemer salesman (35 years !!) and he loves extras as he gets far more commission on them.When the car comes back again he shrugs and gives a few hundred quid for the thousands they were originally .The weird thing is the same people then spend £ thousands again on extras.Moral of the story : if you want better sound system get it but remember to factor in the cost and loss

kodkod.84
03-09-2009, 10:00 AM
I would say go for it- it may not add much to the resale value but it will make the car more desirable when selling.

When and if I decide to buy a B8 2nd hand it will need B&O, Interior Light Pack, Storage Pack and 19s, these seem to be popular tick boxes looking at members on here buying new cars.

Also if you are torn between options to spec due to budget have a think about what you can retrofit later, things like cruise control you can get later.

B&O a hard and expensive retrofit by all accounts.

Dtom
03-09-2009, 03:05 PM
IMO don't worry about resale value, just buy the options that you want and enjoy the experience whilst you have them, its only money after all.

Other options that I have and would not do without are;
Xenon headlights
Adaptive cruise control
Leather
SatNav
AMI
Side Assist
Parking Sensors
B&O

Other options I have and could do without;
Lane Assist
Adaptive steering and suspension
Hill hold Assist

Options I wish I had;
Interior light pack
Electric memory seats
Electric folding mirrors
18" wheels

BTW I have an "approved used" SE

EDIT.......This could be a good thread in its own right, I'll start one.........what options are you pleased you bought, what do you wish you hadn't bought and what do you wish you had bought.

David

uncleTom
03-09-2009, 03:41 PM
I think that a "with hindsight" options list might be very interesting too.

Just as you suggest:

wouldn't do without
could have done without
wish I had got

pitch3110
04-09-2009, 08:13 AM
ta for the feedback chaps and will drop an email over to see if it can be added.

When spec'ing, my must haves were......

Lava
19"s
Multitronic
Tech Pack
Bluetooth (in with exec pack)
Cruise (as above)
Leather/Alcantarra (as above)
Parking Plus

My budget still had a bit left so added......

Light Pack
Folding Mirrors

My should I have done only include's........

The big one....B&O

The standard seemed a big step up from my current B7 concert which in all honesty I have been happy with for three and a half years.

So I felt B&O was not nessesary for me.

decisions, dicisions...................

troc
04-09-2009, 09:37 AM
IMHO, sell a (vaguely) vital organ, child (doesn't have to be yours) or wife (as long as you don't try to sell mine, I'm quite attached to her) and get the B&O :)

Or, more seriously:

I'd say get the B&O rather than 19" wheels for example - you can always retrofit 19" wheels and use the old ones as winter wheels or as trade-in or whatever. You can't economically retrofit B&O

pitch3110
04-09-2009, 10:51 AM
to late......dealer has advised order confirmed and build week has come forward again.

That makes B&O one of the .......... I wish I had

21stCentury
04-09-2009, 05:14 PM
That makes B&O one of the .......... I wish I had

Me too, but - the standard system could be so much better if it weren't for the tinny sound of the dash centre speaker. I've been listening to it with the fader biased to the rear for a couple of days and it really isn't bad at all. I mentioned disconnecting the centre speaker but I have realised that this speaker alone is used for traffic announcements (which is all it's good for!) so diconnecting it is not an option.

What's needed is a setting to turn off this speaker when listening to music and I think all would be well.