PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak from the EGR

wilharper2000
19-04-2007, 01:56 PM
I have just noticed an oil leak on my A6, its the 1.9tdi 115PD. its coming from the middle to top of the egr and is dripping onto the meshed part of the exhaust. Does oil circulate through the EGR and has anyone ever experienced this.
Someone has told me things like this happen when the car is 'babied' i.e. never really driven very hard. this then causes the intake and turbo to become clogged, could this happen?

thanks

will

popeye
24-04-2007, 09:18 PM
I'd be interested to hear anything on this.

I have the same problem (but no resources so am checking the forums out).

I also intermittently lose my power and think it is connected with the EGR leak.

I have a Skoda Superb 1.9TDI 130

Swanny130
27-04-2007, 11:27 AM
You are about the 4th time I've come across this problem in about 3 weeks, I found oil coming from the small hole in front of the EGR, I posted it on this forum ("tdi turbo oil escaping everywhere") and got plenty of feedback. I'm interested in the fact that 'babying' can cause this, I drive pretty conservatively but I give it a good rev every now and then. The only other probable I have is the fact that I took car to a crap garage and they overfilled the engine oil, there's oil in all the air pipes from turbo to intercooler, this suggests a leak in the turbo, no performance issues though (fingers crossed!) Have a look round the tech forum, there's loads in it.
I have a gttdi 130 by the way, hope this helps you or anyone,

Swanny

shooey88
27-04-2007, 04:34 PM
every single tdi model within vag ranges have oil in boost pipes and egr...near enough everywhere. normall. so common to even leak from intercooler pipes. nothing to worry about if small amount. be more worried if found water. diesels are known to be oil burners/users

wilharper2000
27-04-2007, 05:43 PM
The garage ive been going to has been overfilling the oil as well. I know there is supposed to be som eoil in the pipes but the amount of oil coming out of the EGR is causing it to drip onto the exhaust pipe, which cant be right, also ive had to top it up a bit more recently with oil.

shooey88
27-04-2007, 05:49 PM
yeah you are rite....as it tells you on the oil cap..if engine oil overfilled it will spill into catalyst and cause damage....etc...too much or too little of everything cause problems and level need to be obtained.

i once worked on a car that wouldnt start because the customer had fill the engine oil up....but he litterally filled it to the cap but several litres in and dint realise what a dipstick was for.,...lol

Swanny130
28-04-2007, 11:45 AM
That's nothing, I've seen oil topped up through the dipstick hole, classic!

Does oil coming from EGR mean there is a seal gone somewhere or will it stop if I drain some oil out, it's hard to tell what's normal with these engines and what's a problem, oil everywhere!