PDA

View Full Version : VAGCOM Results - PLEASE Help!!!

agloyne
31-08-2009, 11:22 PM
Hi all,

I am new to the forum and recently new to a MK4 Golf GTTDI which is awesome! Love my Golfs, and have had many MK1's in my time!

I have had a 'AIRBAG FAULT' error come up on the dash which is followed by a permanent airbag symbol in orange on the dash upon start up.

Post a service I asked the garage to check out the fault, they carried out the relevant tests and found the following info;

00532 Supply Voltage B+ 07-10 Signal too low - Intermittent.

65535 Internal Control Module Memory ERROR 00-00.

I was hoping someone on here could advise on whats going on with the car and what I need to do in order to fix the faults. The fault codes were not reset however I was advised to take it to a V-Dubbs dealer (£££)? Any suggestions on that one?

I have done a bit of digging on the internet before diving in here but cant seem to find anything exact to this specific issue?

Thanks in advance guys

Andy!!! :1zhelp:

bearthebruce
01-09-2009, 12:36 AM
Reasonably common problem on these air bag modules. When the memory error comes up, it usually means the module is toast. Don't know of any tests you can run to prove it. The recommended procedure is to replace the module. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/65535

Maybe I should change my screen name to the "bad news bear"!

agloyne
01-09-2009, 08:22 AM
it usually means the module is toast. Don't know of any tests you can run to prove it. The recommended procedure is to replace the module. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/65535

Maybe I should change my screen name to the "bad news bear"!

Bruce,

Many thanks for the speedy reply and letting me know what I might be looking at! Once I find out how much it is going to sort the fault / replace said item I will get back and post the results! Hopefully it wont be too much £££ ($$$)!!!!

Hold on to your original screen name till I get some form of result!!!!!!!

Thanks again!

Andy

agloyne
02-09-2009, 08:23 AM
I got this back from a VW source online....

"You can have the module rebuilt. I suggest you contact www.bba-reman.com and give them the specific code numbers. They can rebuild them usually. The low voltage fault is probably just from when the battery went dead sometime. The memory error fault probably won't be able to be cleared and will need to be rebuilt to get rid of. The airbag module is on the tunnel that runs down the center of the car right near the gas pedal and held down with 3 10mm nuts. Two are accessed from the passenger side, one from the driver's side. You'll need a quarter inch ratchet and a deep 10mm socket to remove it."

I was wondering, what exactly would be meant from having to rebuild the module? What exactly is the module - is it an psu / ecu? Would it not be easier to replace etc? I cant seem to find anything relevant within the site recommended?

Cheers all, I appreciate your time!

Andy

bearthebruce
02-09-2009, 01:16 PM
I was wondering, what exactly would be meant from having to rebuild the module? What exactly is the module - is it an psu / ecu? Would it not be easier to replace etc? I cant seem to find anything relevant within the site recommended?

Cheers all, I appreciate your time!

Andy

There are companies who will take an airbag module - the electronic controller (and sometimes the pyrotechnic ignitors depending on the design of the module)- and repair it to make it fully serviceable again. The reason to do this is that often it costs less than a new module.

But hold the horses. Do you want a re-manufactured module setting off explosive charges intended to save yours or a family members life in a dire circumstance? Only you can answer that question. Will you trust that the re-man'd airbag unit will work as an OEM unit when the time comes that it needs to save a family member?

Obviously from my response you can tell where my head is. Others, will certainly disagree. A new OEM unit can fail too. But, I would prefer new in a critical application like safety airbags.

onzarob
02-09-2009, 01:48 PM
I bought a brand new, never used Airbag controller off ebay for my MK5 and it cost me £35 ;) :D

Make sure you take down the adaption number before you remove it as you will need that to code the new one.

:D

bearthebruce
02-09-2009, 01:55 PM
I bought a brand new, never used Airbag controller off ebay for my MK5 and it cost me £35

That's a great deal. You sure it will actually work? I mean - new OEM cost 20 times that. At that price I'd be real skeptical. To each his own!

onzarob
02-09-2009, 02:43 PM
That's a great deal. You sure it will actually work? I mean - new OEM cost 20 times that. At that price I'd be real skeptical. To each his own!

Genuine in the box.....Bankrupt stock from failed dealerships ;) No previuos coding stored or workshop ID's :D

I certainly wouldn't take chances with a repaired one, just in the right place at the right time :)

bearthebruce
02-09-2009, 03:47 PM
Ain't many deal like that around!