PDA

View Full Version : Service Oil still flashing

NickHuge
19-04-2007, 01:42 PM
Hi guys

My 1999 A6 Avant display started flashing at the weekend 'service OIL'. I managed to find a petrol station about 30 miles down the M40 and sure enugh the oil level had dropped just below minimum. i steadily topped this up until it was just below the maximum reading.

It still was flashing but i presumed it would take a while for the senseor to register it had been filled. 5 days later and it is still flashing. Please dont say i have to take it to my extraordinarily expensive audi service centre to stop it??:beerchug:

samd
20-04-2007, 11:40 AM
Mine has just started doing this too. I believe it is telling you that your car is due for an Oil Service.

My local dealership is charging me £87.87 to do the Oil Service.

gazza57
22-04-2007, 09:16 AM
If your car is on the variable service regime, then you get a service oil warning at start up when the car is approaching it's oil/filter change. As you approach the mileage it has calculated it will then flash continuously to warn you you are over the oil change point.
The point at which this happens depends upon the type of driving you do and various other factors. I have an A6 which went 14500 miles to it's first service which was mostly motorways and this time only 9500 between services as I have had some mixed urban driving as well.
If you press the button at the base of the rev counter with the engine running while stationary, it should give you miles to next oil change.
Once you change the oil /filter you need to reset the service interval , your handbook tells you how to do this I think on page 102.
If you don't have it I'll tell you how to do it anyway
Regards gazza57http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon11.gif