PDA

View Full Version : Lowering

Swanny130
19-04-2007, 12:55 PM
Hi all, I know there are a few people out there who have lowered mkIV golfs and I wondered which bits you need and how much it will cost. I'm a competent mechanic, is it as simple as new springs or is there more to it like struts and stuff? Don't tell the missus I'm spending money on my car, she'll go ape!

I don't wanna get silly, a few cm maybe, I just hate that gap in the wheel arch, can fit my wholehead in there! Cheers

Swanny

ghee60
19-04-2007, 01:20 PM
up to about 35ish mm you can get away with just shorter springs, Anything above that, or for a better ride you would need springs and shocks. Plenty of different things on the market, id probably recommend the FK range of products

Swanny130
19-04-2007, 01:56 PM
Cheers dude, that sounds about right for me, would that reduce the "boat" effect when I accelerate? MkIVs have pretty spongy suspension, comfy but I get sea-sick, I'll look into them springs

ghee60
20-04-2007, 11:23 AM
yeah it would as they would be shorter therefore stiffer

Stevef.
20-04-2007, 09:24 PM
Hi, Ive just fitted a kit to my car its made a huge difference to the handling and also to what you can feel (bumps and stuff in the road) this doesnt bother me but would some it was a Gmax kit which is pretty budget £207 delivered shocks and springs. It was the only kit i could find which didnt lower the car too much(20mm) the tyres now sit about 35-40mm from the wheel arches and the car is nice and level. Body roll flopping round on the road feeling is now gone im pleased to say! The kit has a 3 year warranty and is TUV approved.:)

Swanny130
24-04-2007, 03:19 PM
That sounds great steve but a bit out of my price range, would love to replace struts and springs but trying to save penies for that all important remap, might just throw some GTi springs on to improve it a little, enjoy yours though

Swanny

shaz120
20-08-2009, 05:28 PM
Hi, Ive just fitted a kit to my car its made a huge difference to the handling and also to what you can feel (bumps and stuff in the road) this doesnt bother me but would some it was a Gmax kit which is pretty budget £207 delivered shocks and springs. It was the only kit i could find which didnt lower the car too much(20mm) the tyres now sit about 35-40mm from the wheel arches and the car is nice and level. Body roll flopping round on the road feeling is now gone im pleased to say! The kit has a 3 year warranty and is TUV approved.:)

hi there stevef. i know this post is like way old lol just need help on a few things abouth the gmax kit.

1- im looking for the eactly same kit 20mm lowering kit and was wondering what it comes with, isit jus the shock and springs, or does it come with the leg aswel?

2 - and also how is the car on full load, does strugle over humps?

3 - have you had any problems with it yet? any random noise, nocks?

if you could get back to me, it would be much apreciated.

thanks