PDA

View Full Version : wheel locking nut

yogise
19-04-2007, 09:07 AM
passat 1.9 tdi 130 se ( 15" standered wheels )

Went to take the wheel of this morning to change front pads and couldnt find the wheel locking nut, only had the car about a month, phoned the last owner up and he hadnt a clue

Anyone know were i can get one from

Just had one problem fixed about me indicaters and now this

cheers

Eshrules
19-04-2007, 09:44 AM
passat 1.9 tdi 130 se ( 15" standered wheels )

Went to take the wheel of this morning to change front pads and couldnt find the wheel locking nut, only had the car about a month, phoned the last owner up and he hadnt a clue

Anyone know were i can get one from

Just had one problem fixed about me indicaters and now this

cheers

erm.... the general thing with locking nuts is that unless you have the locking tool, you won't get them off.....

if its a VW OEM locking nut, you may be in luck, as they can usually help you out, however, if not, you may have to take to a very careful garage and have the nut taken off, i know they can do this with an oversized socket.... wouldnt advise this as a first course though as it can usually result in wheel damage if they're not careful

Sam
19-04-2007, 09:55 AM
Open the boot and look for your tool kit. It's a black pouch with a tie round the middle. It has a few tools in it and on the inside of the flap is a small, velcro sealed pouch - in there is your locking bolt removal tool

yogise
19-04-2007, 06:17 PM
Open the boot and look for your tool kit. It's a black pouch with a tie round the middle. It has a few tools in it and on the inside of the flap is a small, velcro sealed pouch - in there is your locking bolt removal tool

Already looked mate, the last owner ( who has had the car from new ) cant remember ever seeing it , but he did say that he never touched the car, his local garage always did the work

Guess ill just have to get me hammer and chisel out

yogise
19-04-2007, 06:19 PM
erm.... the general thing with locking nuts is that unless you have the locking tool, you won't get them off.....

if its a VW OEM locking nut, you may be in luck, as they can usually help you out, however, if not, you may have to take to a very careful garage and have the nut taken off, i know they can do this with an oversized socket.... wouldnt advise this as a first course though as it can usually result in wheel damage if they're not careful

Cheers mate think ill give them a bell tommorow, then ill get me hammer and chisel out

clint
19-04-2007, 06:34 PM
you can buy a correct locking nut removal tool or if your feeling brave you can belt on a socket thats slightly smaller so it bites onto the metal

guyg
19-04-2007, 06:43 PM
This happened to me once, just after I'd bought my A6 I had a puncture. I didn't even know it had locking nuts until I went to change the wheel, but the key was nowhere to be found.

Although I bought the car from an auction, it had some residual AudiCover so i gave them a call. They sent a recovery vehicle - the guy had every every conceivable tool apart from a splined key set and he couldn't get the nut undone.

I'd advise against using any kind of force; if it's OEM the splines are easy to damage and the nut is completely round and difficult to get a grip on.

They recovered the car to the dealer where they had a full set of keys. They changed the tyre FOC and sold me a new nut and key for around a fiver.

The recovery guy had damaged the nut attempting to remove it and they had some difficulty getting the old one off.

I'd drive the car to your dealer, they will have a complete set and should be able to determine what size you need and sell you the appropriate splined key.

Cheers

Guy

yogise
19-04-2007, 07:59 PM
thanks everone will deffo go over the vw dealer now

Sam
20-04-2007, 08:02 AM
Already looked mate, the last owner ( who has had the car from new ) cant remember ever seeing it , but he did say that he never touched the car, his local garage always did the work

Guess ill just have to get me hammer and chisel out

Ah, oh well.

Dealership should be able to help you out (of your money) ;)