PDA

View Full Version : ...change a timing belt on an Audi A6 1.9TDI 110

se-automotive
28-08-2009, 07:15 PM
Hi guys, I'm about to get this done, and I'm pretty confident I can tackle it, as I've changed a few belts - all petrols though. However, as there's no Haynes Manual to keep me the right side of erring, I wonder if anyone has posted a set of instructions I can work by, as this would be my first diesel job.

I know I need the water pump, the tensioners and idlers too. Is there anything else?

Cheers in advance!

mrp0ny
05-10-2009, 11:37 PM
Hello.....it's worth doing the water pump at the same time.......plus hoses etc and there is a funny plastic pipe where the hoses meet, that needs changing before it fails (mine fractured on a french motorway).
But these cars last forever....mine is 400K with the engine and box still untouched (A6 110 TDI auto) and running brilliantly. So it's an investment.
The newer cars have more bits to go wrong, so the 110 is just about the most reliable car there is out there.......Cheers, David

Peter D
06-10-2009, 07:40 AM
Do you have the locking tools and special bits. Do you know how to move the front of the car into the sevice position. PM me with your email address. Regards Peter

se-automotive
06-10-2009, 09:45 AM
Hiya, the answer to those questions would be no and probably, respectively.

When I changed belts on the older 100s and 80s, I never locked the camshaft and crankshaft, so no, I have no locking tools. I know locking the shafts is probably absolutely important because diesels are less forgiving if you get the timing wrong. I'm sure I've no "special bits" either.... those older petrols didn't require much more than a tensioner tool and standard sockets and torx bits.

Service position... I once did a cambelt on a 1997 Passat, and I know the bumper had to come off, and while the radiator didn't, it swivelled out to make room for work to be done. Is this what you mean?

Can't send PMs, because I apparently need to have at least 5 posts to do so. If you send me one with yours, I'll mail you back.

Cheers.

NickPicks
06-10-2009, 09:56 AM
Paul B did a write up on here of how he did his. I think his is a 1.9 aswell

His writeup with lots of pictures is here (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=20046)

I think he took the front panel off, but apparantly, the whole front panel slides forward to a service position, as Peter D said.

I'd really recommend getting a manual for it - even if just to tell you the right sequence and torque settings.

paul b
07-10-2009, 04:12 PM
40k+ later the timing belt is still... well on and working. :D

I highly recommend you buy the camshaft locking tools. For the cost of the tool it really isn't worth risking. The locking tools should be less than £20.

I've had a look on eBay but the locking tools are more readily available for the PD engines than your older 110 VE engine. If you e-mail one of the sellers I'm sure they'll advise you of what to buy.

I have done timing belt changes in the past without using locking tools, however it wasn't on VW/Audi vehicles. It's do-able but risky.