PDA

View Full Version : Servicing my own Passat.

jasear
18-04-2007, 10:13 PM
Hi,

I have a Passat PD TDI SE 2000 W reg and I am thinking of servicing it myself. I know a fair bit about cars but I have never serviced one before so its my first time.

Ive seen quite a lot of Service and Repair software for VW/Audi around as well as the Haynes manual I was just wondering what would you recommend I should get?

How hard is it to do an Oil change on the passat? Your help is appreciated.

r1ytm
18-04-2007, 10:18 PM
The oil change is straight fwd I do mine myself. The only thing you want to watch is the sump plug as this seems to sieze and then becomes a bit of job to take of if you aint got the right tool!

jasear
19-04-2007, 10:15 AM
thanks for your help r1ytm. Im going to give it a go this weekend. Will update to let everyone know how it goes.:Blush:

Eshrules
19-04-2007, 10:23 AM
this sticky may help you

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=7845

Hch
20-05-2009, 07:10 PM
hope this thread is ok here,bit new to forums.

Can anybody help me please? My bonnet will not open! I have a 1999 1.9TDi Sport Passat . I can release the handle mechanism under the steering column,which raises the bonnet an inch,but when I pull the release mechanism under the front lip of the bonnet,nothing happens..the pull tag does not feel connected? Any Ideas on how to rectify this? many thanks H

Hch
21-05-2009, 06:45 AM
help !

MalcQV
21-05-2009, 07:51 AM
Hch, my tag has broke before now but not totally. I still had enough 'connection' to pull it. I have since fibre glassed it back together.

I will have a look under the bonnet later to see if there is a way to undo.

passing
21-05-2009, 04:40 PM
i had my tag stick once and it was a real pain to get the bonnet open. It freed up quickly enough with some WD40 (don't forget to lube at each service). Maybe yours is stuck and so if you can get some WD40 or similar up under the bonnet it will free off.

As for servicing - it is simple. Remove any risk of stripping the sump plug and save yourslef the hassle of getting the undertray off by extracting the oil via the dipstick. I use a hand pump from a marine suppliers that cost £10. You can get vacuum units withtank for about £40. PD/505.01 oil is a little more difficult to find at the right price. You will need a cup type key for the oil filter 76mm and 14 sides from memory - available for less than a tenner usually.

Don't forget the final drive oil level -- accessed from the N/S wheel arch with a long extension and an allen socket 5/8 I think.

A vag com scan is worthwhile too if you can find a local member.

martin1810
21-05-2009, 04:47 PM
Hch....A wire coat hanger and a bright light to see by. You should be able to get to the release and pull it open by making yourself a hook. You may have to get it on a ramp and work from below.

Hch
22-05-2009, 01:59 PM
Thankyou all for your advice, I am about to tackle the problem and also change all my brake pads this afternoon, hope the rain stays off! Cheers H

cazyp
22-05-2009, 02:48 PM
Good luck...