PDA

View Full Version : Adding 2Stroke oil to diesel

mark968
26-08-2009, 08:27 AM
What are the collective thoughts of adding 2stroke oil to ULS diesel, as per the discussion here (http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic878.html?highlight=stroke+oil) and lots of other sites. I'm interested in its benefits for my v6 diesel with 120k on the clock and counting. Like the idea of cleaning and running quieter (not that its that noisy anyway), not so keen on any collateral damage that may be caused.....

Cheers
Mark

adamss24
26-08-2009, 08:43 AM
In Europe, durring the freezing winters, people add petrol to diesel to aid cold starting. But, the petrol is not a good lubricant so old skool mechanics add a few capfull of 2 stroke oil to the tank to lubricate the pump. Also they add 2 stroke ashless oil in diesel powered cars wich dumb owners filled the tank with petrol ! 10 years ago diesel had sulphur in it wich was well known for its good lubricating properties and diesel pumps would last eon's but, since low sulphur diesel, the fuel is much more dry and they have to add additives to the fuel wich differs from pumps to pumps. Its known that shell and bp fuel have one of the best additive packages in uk, in Europe, german regular diesel is much betterr than the bp ultimate or shell's v power diesel !

ellaguru2u
27-08-2009, 07:43 AM
I have an `04 2.5 Avant (BDG) which seems to run well at the moment. My concern would be that if the soot build up were removed by using 2t dosing would it cause more problems than it cured.
Also is my engine fitted with a closed circuit diesel particulate filter?...anyone know.

adamss24
27-08-2009, 08:11 AM
I dont think they fitted diesel particulate filter(DPF) on cars prior 2006 and definately not on the 2.5 v6 engine ! What soot you want to clean, off the exhaust ? Adding 2 stroke oil will "massage" the pump so it should not make too much difference as the diesels burn a bit of oil when cold anyway !

ellaguru2u
27-08-2009, 02:18 PM
I was led to believe that 2T oil would remove carbon from valves etc. I`m not against this unless it produces problems.

mark968
27-08-2009, 02:25 PM
Thats what I was hoping as well. Having looked at (nearly) all the links to other forums, they all seem to suggest many benefits from removing carbon from engine internals and lubricating pumps (which I can believe) to cleaning turbos etc (not sure about that one).

I'm sure if I look hard enough, there will be evangelical posts somewhere about it also replaces a beer gut with a six-pack and cures baldness :biglaugh:

Still tempted to try though..,...

ellaguru2u
02-09-2009, 10:02 AM
I`ve ran the car for a tankful (550 miles) and no problems as yet. I cant say the engine is any smoother running but then its a V6 which was smooth anyway.
I`m off to Brittany at the weekend so I`ll probably put another 1500 on so I`ll continue with the 2T & see what happens.

Brave Dave