PDA

View Full Version : Blown rear left fog light in dashboard

wmccann
26-08-2009, 12:29 AM
Hi All,

Hope someone can help, I have upgraded my 2003 A4 Cab from low line to high line. Everything works fine except ALMOST every time I turn on the car it gives a blown bulb warning for the left rear fog light.

This is odd as the rear fog light works fine if I switch it on.

The wireing is fine and I have tried a different power supply module and get the same thing. I did change the rear lights for B7 ones so not sure if the bulb resistance is different in them. I have tried to put a resistor across the bulb to increase the resistance but made no difference.

I am very confused, any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,

Walter.

Woorlord
26-08-2009, 07:56 AM
What if you plug the original B6 lights back in do you still get the error?
This would isolate the problem to the new B7 light cluster if the fault goes with the original cluster.

wmccann
26-08-2009, 09:56 AM
What if you plug the original B6 lights back in do you still get the error?
This would isolate the problem to the new B7 light cluster if the fault goes with the original cluster.

Unfortunately I sold it a few weeks ago...

I am fairly sure it is to do with the bulb wattage (either the B7 is higher or lower, not sure) Does anyone have the correct bulb spec for both?

Thanks,

Walter.

bez101
26-08-2009, 10:17 AM
Unfortunately I sold it a few weeks ago...

I am fairly sure it is to do with the bulb wattage (either the B7 is higher or lower, not sure) Does anyone have the correct bulb spec for both?

Thanks,

Walter.
when i changed mine to b7 rears i didnt get any warnings did u get the loom from kuftec or make yourown ?

kite
26-08-2009, 10:54 AM
Think you will find you don't have a left side rear fog light.
I had this warning a couple years ago on a B6.
I took both units out cleaned all the bulb contacts and have not had a problem since..

wmccann
26-08-2009, 11:30 AM
Hi,

Lights and loom were got from Kufatec so are German and have the left fog light. When doing the mod I wired the fog light to the left and it works if I switch it on.

I might try adding a resistor and see what happens, tried a 22k ohm one in parallel but that made no difference (it worked for my LED parking lights though :) ).

Walter.

bez101
26-08-2009, 12:56 PM
Think you will find you don't have a left side rear fog light.
I had this warning a couple years ago on a B6.
I took both units out cleaned all the bulb contacts and have not had a problem since..
u do have 2 fogs on the b7 lights u just have to wire the left 1 up

bez101
26-08-2009, 12:57 PM
Hi,

Lights and loom were got from Kufatec so are German and have the left fog light. When doing the mod I wired the fog light to the left and it works if I switch it on.

I might try adding a resistor and see what happens, tried a 22k ohm one in parallel but that made no difference (it worked for my LED parking lights though :) ).

Walter.
quick idea have u got a split in the wire anywhere i got this for a side light traced the wire it must have rubbed against sumat and was puting the dash warning on