PDA

View Full Version : Audi A6 - intending to buy

jon3boy
25-08-2009, 09:33 PM
Hi,

As you can see i'm new to the forum, so hello etc.

I was wondering if anyone could offer some info regarding a "mild" smoking issue.

The car is a 2005 2.0 TDI SE - w 65,000 miles on the clock which i intend to buy.

I've always been suspicious of smoke but i understand and know that a lot of diesels do this. I also own a 2001 a4 avant 1.9 tdi that smokes on acceleration - a lot more than this A6 - it's always been a "solid" car and have had no problems whatsoever with it.

I just noticed that when i revved the car hard, it emitted a small puff of black smoke each time it was revved, it didn't continue to do so when the accelerator was fully pressed down, just a small puff each time it was pressed down to the max. The vehicle did not smoke while ticking over and when i test-drove it i couldn't see any smoke in the rear view mirror (or wings), when i was full on the gas.

The engine sounded "normal" and there were no other sounds that i could here. It seemed fine accelerating and i would've thought about 10.5 secs to 60 and had heaps more (obviously).

I just wondered if anyone can offer any comforting advice :) or should i be very much guarded?

Thx in advance,

Jon

MFGF
27-08-2009, 09:53 AM
Hi,

This sounds quite normal to me. My last car was a 2005 A6 2.0 TDi, and it would emit a small puff of black smoke from each exhaust if the throttle was booted - not enough to see from inside the car though. My friend has a 2006 Mondeo diesel, and his car smokes far more than mine ever did - if his/my family were out for the day together, we would often drive behind each other and compare notes.

Regards,

MF.

jon3boy
08-09-2009, 02:55 AM
Thanks for your reply MFGF

I got someone to follow me down a 70mph limit road and it would seem that it indeed only emits a small puff of smoke (from both exhausts) when throttle was booted. Good enough for me, so i bought it :)

MFGF
11-09-2009, 11:20 AM
Enjoy! :) I wish you many years of happy trouble-free Audi driving!