PDA

View Full Version : A/C condenser

Astaroth
25-08-2009, 11:48 AM
Ok, car went in for 20,000 mile service after 18 months with A/C working perfectly. Came out and the A/C didnt work. Called the garage who took it in and advised that it just needed regassing as the car was over 2 years old (which it isnt) but they would do this for free.

Get car back, few days later, A/C stops working again. Phone garage, long discussion, agree to look at it again when the car comes back in for the seals on the roof to be fixed.

Get a phone call, saying that the condenser is punctured which they believe that will have happened when the vehicle was "travelling at speed" and therefore isnt something they have done and so it will be £450 + fitting + VAT if I want them to fix it.

Anyone else had problems with the condenser being punctured? Seems much more likely to me that they have knackered it during the 20,000 mile service and just trying to cover their arses.

kite
25-08-2009, 09:34 PM
My mate had a hole in is condenser on his less than 2yr old Golf.....£600 bill...

towcestervag
26-08-2009, 12:18 PM
just done mates touran £320 fitted
got parts from automotive cooling in northampton 01604 639005 did get trade discount £160 for condenser £45 for regass at mates garage the rest i charged labour but i also made up a small mesh grille for behind the bumper to stop stones damaging it again looks good and does the job its not the first ive done for this problem

Astaroth
26-08-2009, 05:14 PM
So is it likely that it is road damage which coincidently showed up whilst they had it or is it likely to either be road damage done whilst they had the vehicle or damage caused whilst doing the 20,000 mile service?

towcestervag
26-08-2009, 05:33 PM
unlikely the damaged it whilst doing the service
and unlikely you could prove they got it damaged on roadtest
i think you will have to bite the bullet and pay for it yourself but do the phone round first for a good price