PDA

View Full Version : Has my turbo blown? A4 TDI130

skymaster
24-08-2009, 05:26 PM
Today what seems like the worst case nightmare arose.

Accelerating hard up a hill in 1st... a sort of Phffft noise, a jolt, black smoke and loss of power...

Pulled in and waited for recovery, car now at garage awaiting diagnosis...

Of course my worst fear is a blown turbo.... anything else it might be? :(:(:(

cptk
24-08-2009, 06:03 PM
Did the car go into limp mode? if the turbo is spinning then maybe you might be ok.

Regards, cptk

kite
24-08-2009, 07:05 PM
Could just be a hose has blown off.

skymaster
24-08-2009, 08:25 PM
Hi

Well, I am hoping that it is just a hose thats come off or has split. The engine would start after with a lumpy idle, but with my foot to the floor revs would not get past 2000 and the smoke would come out again...

The RAC man removed the large hose thats on the right of the engine (as you look at it with the bonnet up) and that allowed the engine to rev right up again.... without the turbo!

Which makes me think it might be the turbo itself thats bust...

Garage is having a look at it tomorrow morning... fingers crossed!

skymaster
25-08-2009, 12:13 PM
Well.. the verdict aint good...

Turbo has blown... shaft snapped and it's basically exploded!

The garage have said that it will need a new turbo (obviously) and some new pipes as a precaution. Also the intercooler needs to come off and be washed through and cleaned...

The concern is debris and bits of snapped off impeller being present in the system...

Any help or advice from you guys much appreciated indeed...

Oh joy!!! :zx11::mad::confused::(

kite
25-08-2009, 09:32 PM
Ouch.............

bez101
25-08-2009, 10:44 PM
££££££££££££££££££££££

skymaster
26-08-2009, 09:51 AM
Ouch.............

Thats what the car said as the shaft snapped and the turbo expoloded...

Total ******* nightmare basically!

Marco34
27-08-2009, 10:43 AM
You could get a reconditioned turbo which would save some money. I'm sure the system can be easily checked for bebris just a long winded process.

It sounds a real pi$$er. It's vary rare for such a failure. It could have been a lack of lubrication to the turbo that caused it, or pure and simple bad luck.

Hope you get it fixed soon.

skymaster
27-08-2009, 07:26 PM
Hi

The recon one is only £180 or so cheaper than the brand new one... so I am going for a new one... not the genuine Audi stamped one mind you... although I hear that the turbo itself is identical... the genuine one from audi is £1200, I am paying under £700!

It is a complete pisser... I always keep the oil topped up and have never let it go more than 8k between changes... and I always use the proper castrol SLX longlife III (507.00 spec).... so to have this happen is extremely gauling indeed...

bez101
27-08-2009, 07:40 PM
Hi

The recon one is only £180 or so cheaper than the brand new one... so I am going for a new one... not the genuine Audi stamped one mind you... although I hear that the turbo itself is identical... the genuine one from audi is £1200, I am paying under £700!

It is a complete pisser... I always keep the oil topped up and have never let it go more than 8k between changes... and I always use the proper castrol SLX longlife III (507.00 spec).... so to have this happen is extremely gauling indeed...
id rather go for a recon audi stamped unit than a aftermarket but what name is the aftermarket ur geting for under 700 ?

skymaster
27-08-2009, 11:19 PM
The price I got for a recon wasn't for a genuine Audi one... it's a Garrett turbo which I am lead to believe is the same one that Audi supply.

Buying from Audi gives their great two year parts warranty and of course you see the 4 rings stamped onto the housing. But at nearly double the price I am happy with a 12 month warranty and not seeing the 4 rings on it before it's installed.

As far as I am aware Audis OEM turbos are Garrets, so it should be exactly the same...