PDA

View Full Version : Generation 3 Telephone Fitment - No rSAP Adapter Available

MY OOOO
23-08-2009, 11:18 PM
When I took delivery of my Q5 in April 2009 it was fitted with a standard telephone factory fitment – Bluetooth Low – MMI Generation 3. The factory fitment includes a Generation 3 base unit located under the centre armrest.

Given the rapid change of mobile telephone handsets Audi have, quite rightly in my opinion, said that their policy will not be to release custom telephone holders in future. Their stated policy appears to be to support rSAP connectivity via either the factory fitted Bluetooth High option or by use of the rSAP adaptor fitted to the base unit in the car.

Clearly rSAP does offer many benefits over standard ‘hands-free’ Bluetooth (particularly its use of the car antenna to provide enhanced reception). As such I duly purchased an rSAP adapter from my local dealer but discovered it wouldn’t fit since it was a Generation 2 device. After further investigation I discovered that a Generation 3 adapter wasn’t available.

Subsequently I have checked the possibility of a Generation 3 rSAP adapter being made available soon with Audi (UK) Customer Service both in April & last week (mid-Aug). Unfortunately they inform me that there appear to be no plans to release such an adapter in the foreseeable future. :zx11:

I believe that the Generation 3 base units are now being installed in other current Audi models (certainly the A5) so I am baffled why Audi are shipping cars with a telephone base unit which is essentially useless.

MFGF
24-08-2009, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the info. I have been toying with the idea of purchasing an rSAP adaptor, but if it will not work with MMI 3G, you've saved me all the hassle of finding out the hard way.

Regards,

MF.

stridey1
21-12-2009, 06:14 PM
Any news anyone on the Generation 3 version availability yet?:D

Geordie Amanda
11-01-2010, 07:52 PM
I have an HTC tyTnII phone with about 500+ contacts in it. I recently had a test in a new A4 S-line and it would not download any of my contacts. When I asked the salesman what I could do, he said use an rsap kit, which will work with my phone as it is rsap capable. But, I am I right in saying that it will only download the numbers stored on my sim card if I connect with rsap? i believe that means I could only download 250 contacts at best! I realise the other benefits that rsap gives you. It’s a bit annoying as my current BMW 1 series does it all seamlessly (but perhaps it should as both it and my phone use Microsoft software……not blue screen of death yet :D ) and even my TomTom downloaded the phone book flawlessly. Perhaps I had a duff salesman.

Hope you don’t mind this intrusion onto the Q5 forum, but it seems sort of related.

MFGF
12-01-2010, 03:17 PM
Hi,

If you were in an A4 B8 (you indicated it was new, so it seems a fair assumption), it will have the Gen 3 cradle system, and currently Audi do not have a Gen 3 rSAP cradle available, so it looks like the salesman's info was indeed duff.

I've seen posts (admittedly specific to Blackberry users) which advocate clearing down the call history lists on the phone then re-pairing with the car to fix issues similar to the one you saw. It may be worth a try - a friendly dealer might allow you to sit in a car in the showroom and do some experimentation.

Alternatively, you're welcome to pop by and try in my A6 when I'm in the office in Sale.

MF.

Geordie Amanda
12-01-2010, 03:58 PM
Hi,

If you were in an A4 B8 (you indicated it was new, so it seems a fair assumption), it will have the Gen 3 cradle system, and currently Audi do not have a Gen 3 rSAP cradle available, so it looks like the salesman's info was indeed duff.

I've seen posts (admittedly specific to Blackberry users) which advocate clearing down the call history lists on the phone then re-pairing with the car to fix issues similar to the one you saw. It may be worth a try - a friendly dealer might allow you to sit in a car in the showroom and do some experimentation.

Alternatively, you're welcome to pop by and try in my A6 when I'm in the office in Sale.

MF.

Thanks for the reply and kind thought :) . I think you might have hit the nail on the head as I remember the only information that the car could draw from my phone was from one of it’s sub memories and I think it might have been the ‘most recent calls’ that I could read. It pulled in a few names and numbers from it, but no more. So it sounds like with a bit of good luck and a following ail wind, Audi will have the software in place in the not too distant future.

Geordie Amanda
15-01-2010, 08:49 PM
I hope you don’t mind me asking another daft question. But assuming that I got a new S-Line with the basic Bluetooth (standard), I expect that I wont be able to download my contacts unless I am very lucky. So, if I make the call from my handset, will the call still come through the cars Bluetooth phone system and speakers. I am assuming it does, but the Audi system seems a little different to the ones I am used to.

MFGF
18-01-2010, 10:27 AM
Hi,

I have a Blackberry, and my wife has a Nokia 6303, and for both of these, the contacts download seamlessly into both my A6 and her TT. Provided you have a phone supported by the Audi Bluetooth system, you shouldn't have any problems.

Even if your contacts do not download, the car can still be used to dial a number or receive an incoming call. If you choose a contact manually from your phone, the car's BT system should still handle the audio both ways.

Best regards,

MF.