PDA

View Full Version : Brake warning light on startup

pippip
21-08-2009, 11:25 AM
Audi A4 2002 1.8T - 72k

Recently when I start the ignition I get the red brake warning light flash and beep at me three times on the centre display between the dials. At first i would only get it once out of every ten startups but now has become more often.

It only happens on startup, never when driving, but unlike all the similar stories I have read I don't get any abs warning light at the same time. I don't seem to be leaking anything and the brakes feel fine.

Any help welcome before I get mechanic to double check everything.

Many thanks

kite
21-08-2009, 11:54 AM
A8Tech done a write up on this....
I think its a low voltage spike that sets it off.
Check your battery.

Embisix
24-08-2009, 10:16 AM
Does this happen when you're parked on quite a heavy camber (to the left) by any chance?

My brake warning comes on sometimes when the left side of the car is kerbside on a steep camber.

I think it's probably down to the fluid falling away from the level sensor in the resovoir.

Obviously checked all my levels and for leaks etc. and have seen no problem, so I don't worry about it.

pippip
24-08-2009, 10:51 AM
in reference to the battery, the car doesn't sound weak when starting but I'll get it checked.

I do park on a slope, facing downhill, not left or right. Not too steep. I cant see any leaks but I'll keep checking the brake fluid levels over the next few days.

The last two days, it has beeped as usual from startup and then again when I'm leaving my estate (about 30-60 secs later).

I also noticed one time last week then I drove to the shop (2mins away) and it beeped as usual on startup and then again when I came out of the shop.

Not too worried about it but just really annoying, as I said no problem with braking.

delv6
24-08-2009, 08:46 PM
I have the same issue, checked brake fluid res and was fine so disconnected the brake fluid level sensor and it stopped so thought ah need a new sensor but now its started again without that sensor refitted so mr AA man, another issue, has said it may be a faulty brake pad sensor that is intermittent. He reckons with the right VAGCOM software you would be able to prove this one either way so thats my next step, could be same for you..

a8 tech
24-08-2009, 08:52 PM
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=18526&highlight=brake+warning

kite
24-08-2009, 08:58 PM
I looked for that thread and couldn't find it :Blush2::beerchug:

toff
24-08-2009, 09:58 PM
Take a look at this thread too.

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=56355

Hull Audi retro-fitted a relay / wiring to my 3.0 which sorted the problem!

Toff.

a8 tech
24-08-2009, 10:02 PM
I forgot about that one,too many posts lol

pippip
24-08-2009, 10:18 PM
Many thanks all, that last link looks to be the problem. A bit short on cash at the moment so will have to scrap some together and get down to Audi. Think I'll ring around as the first garage I rang didn't have a clue so will try and get someone who has at least heard of the problem.

Again many thanks, and will report back when I finally get it sorted.

I'll try that check button test first.

pippip
25-08-2009, 11:06 AM
Hit the check button when it went off this morning and as mentioned in the previous link it told me brake or hydraulic fluid. So presume now it is this problem.

Can someone PM me any technical info on what relay and equipment needs to be done.

I live in Dublin, Ireland and have rang the 3 major Audi service stations and none of them have even heard of the issue. All suggest I bring in the car for a full diagnostics and see what they can find. Would this actually show anything cause from what I read elsewhere the vagcom doesn't link into the brakes system?

Many thanks,

w2w
25-08-2009, 11:24 AM
Sorry to hijack the thread but on the subject of warning lights..I have the 'rear brake light out' icon come up on my centre display, then the lightbulb with a cross sits on my display all the time. I've had all the lights checked and they are fine, but the light still comes on

anyone?

a8 tech
25-08-2009, 08:26 PM
replace the bulbs anyway in case the filaments are defective or incorrect wattage to eliminate then check the brake switch for sporadic failures

a8 tech
25-08-2009, 08:27 PM
Hit the check button when it went off this morning and as mentioned in the previous link it told me brake or hydraulic fluid. So presume now it is this problem.

Can someone PM me any technical info on what relay and equipment needs to be done.

I live in Dublin, Ireland and have rang the 3 major Audi service stations and none of them have even heard of the issue. All suggest I bring in the car for a full diagnostics and see what they can find. Would this actually show anything cause from what I read elsewhere the vagcom doesn't link into the brakes system?

Many thanks,
send a pm to me and i will dig it out

w2w
26-08-2009, 06:46 PM
replace the bulbs anyway in case the filaments are defective or incorrect wattage to eliminate then check the brake switch for sporadic failures

will do, cheers

fulcrum111
26-08-2009, 11:00 PM
Hey pippip, I work in Dublin and have vagcom 805. I'd be happy to run a diagnostic for you. PM me if you are interested. Might be interesting to see if anything shows up?

pippip
27-08-2009, 11:07 AM
Many thanks for the offer fulcrum111, i'll may follow you up on that, but I just spotted this thread -

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=19161&highlight=battery

Similar to the previous link in this thread. I don't know how I couldn't find these before as I search for ages, must have been blind that day.

Anyway he says the vagcom reported no problems and the fault was the battery. I got those relay instructions form A8Tech, they are perfect, very detailed so any mechanic would understand. I'm gonna get my local mechanic to give the battery a test and see if that solves it first. I'm not really getting a sluggish start but it has started to give me the alert one or two more times just after i've set off on my journey (within the first 1-2 mins off driving) and the temp has been ever so slightly cooler in the morning (13-15c instead of 17-19c which it has been over the last month)

will be in touch when I get round to it.

Two Audi family
28-08-2009, 06:20 PM
Hi Pippip,

I had exactly the same symptoms a few months ago, and it was getting progressively worse (ie more often). Changed the battery and no problem since (about 4 months).

Hope this helps

Regards

TAF

pippip
14-09-2009, 08:51 AM
Morning all, well got the battery tested on Friday during oil change and mechanic said yes it was on its way out, remarked on high level of bubbling in the cells. Original battery from new so 7 yrs old approx. Changed it myself on Friday afternoon and did a few journeys over the weekend with no beeps.

Then left for work this morning (temp 14-16C) and the car beeped as usual. On startup and then about 4-5 times randomly over the first 10mins of driving, so basically no different.

Will have to have a look at getting that extra relay wiring done as sent to me by A8-Tech. So annoying that Audi over here have never heard of it. Where can I get the parts for it, are they standard bits? Not gonna do it myself but how long should it roughly take a capable mechanic to install and how much?

PS - When I was in with my mechanic he told me the his niece's VW Golf had a similar problem with her ESP light coming on randomly when driving and it turned out to be the alternator in her case - any chance this could be the case on mine. Just annoying that it has started all of a sudden.

pippip
14-09-2009, 07:02 PM
Think I may know why I'm still getting the beeps. Thought about it all day and began thinking that maybe they gave me the wrong battery. As it seems this solved the problem for everyone but me.

Old one - 12V 340A 70AH 570A SAE DIN
New one - 065 CCA495 55AH FN

From what I can see online the CCA and SAE are the samething - startup power. Being that the problem is low voltage spikes mostly on startup I presume having a lower power one than the old battery isn't going to help. Will be going back tomorrow morning to where I got the battery for exchange.

Can anyone confirm that I might be on the right path?

a8 tech
14-09-2009, 07:45 PM
The correct battery is a must.You say beeps but do you see a brake warning signal on the driver display.

pippip
14-09-2009, 08:01 PM
Yes, Brake warning in red keeps flashing and beeps 3 times. All the same as before.

Looks like the new battery has a lesser startup power.

many thanks

pippip
16-09-2009, 08:56 AM
Still having a nightmare with this. As it stands -

Old battery (original) - 12V 340A 70AH (570A CCA)

1st new battery - 065 66AH (495 CCA) - still getting beeps mulitple times on startup

2nd new battery - 067 66AH (580 CCA) - still the same.

Does anyone know if this second new battery is acceptable for the car. Startup power (CCA) is higher than my original but the capacity (AH) is slightly lower.

Just want to know should I return both and get my money back and look elsewhere for the exact one. Halfords list four batteries for my car some are more powerful than all of the above and others are less powerful.

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/GenericProductGuidedSalesCmd?action=getProducts&storeId=11101&categoryId=212578&catalogId=15551&langId=-1&storeId=11101&catalogId=15551&categoryId=212578&langId=-1&engineInd=1&makeName=11&modelName=1106&dvlaYear=45&subset=1106140&findPartsMMYS.x=23&findPartsMMYS.y=8

pippip
21-09-2009, 07:16 PM
Went back to the garage for a larger battery and the mechanic said that there would be no point in anything bigger as the second one he gave me is more than powerful enough adding that its mostly for diesels.

I notice the beeps are becoming more frequent but still stop after about 10mins of driving.

Is there anyway to just turn off the beeping sound?

Dave_1984
23-11-2017, 08:55 PM
Does anyone have the link on info for the relay mod? Cheers Dave.

Crasher
23-11-2017, 10:18 PM
Remind me tomorrow and I will dig it out but Photoknobit will probably stop me posting it even though I pay, right bunch of knobs!

Dave_1984
23-11-2017, 10:37 PM
Nice one, thanks. If it's easier I could give you my email address?

Thanks
Dave.