PDA

View Full Version : Loss of power, then refuses to start

Fel
20-08-2009, 11:25 PM
Hi

Our 1.9tdi 2002 alhambra has started playing up. We were going along the motorway when it started loosing power. It seemed to slow down in 5mph drops. Luckily there was a slip road to some services, where we just managed to reach some parking before the power just cut out.

When we tried to start it didnt crank at all.

RAC man looked at it and started it by jump leads but then noticed the power was draining intermittently. He was confused and towed us home, as he didnt like the look and didnt want us loosing power on bends etc.

He has suggested changing the battery as it failed a battery test. It looks like the alternator is working, so he was confused why it didnt keep the car going.

Anybody with similar problems or ideas?

sr-performance
21-08-2009, 01:11 AM
Hi mate, why did he think the alternater is working? if the battery is dead from not getting a charge due to alt then it wont run.. try charging the battery if it's not buggered now, and have the alt checked soon as you get it running. a jump start is no good with a dead battery as it consumes all the power.. hope that helps you mate.. :beerchug:

Fel
21-08-2009, 10:28 AM
Thanks for answering....

Our mechanic next door neighbour looked at the car this morning after rac dropped it off. He jumped it and it all seems fine!

i.e. Let it run for a few mins, stopped then tried starting it and it fired up 3 times no problem. He stuck some meter thingies all over it, (i am no mechanic) as far as he could tell everything seemed OK! So he was going to take it for a spin and see what happens.

I then came to work and left him to it. Hopefully get some news later.....