PDA

View Full Version : VAG COM and coolant temp warnings

paddymm
17-04-2007, 09:58 PM
VAGCOM and coolant warnings. Hopefully there will be a VAGCOM guru still around at this time of night. Heres a bit of background first. I have the cable and the older software which seems to work fine on my old A4. However on my newer 2002 1.8T Passat the 'stop the car the coolant temp is too high' warning came up and the temp went right into the red before I could stop on the M way. All very good as the car is still under VW used car warranty. I Spoke to the guys at my local VW dealer and it is all booked in for a look see on Thursday. Now the guy at VW says that the warranty only covers for a limited period of diagnostic work (approx 15 mins) which in my opinion is b$%£ox.. ( has anyone experienced this before ?) So in an attempt at preventing my wallet being taken over by VW I hooked up the vag com and to my surprise no fault code appears. Is this normal and should the VAG COM not have listed the warning for the coolant temp being too high and should it be able to diagnose a faulty temp sensor / fan. There is water in the tank and the viscous fan is OK and the elec fan only cuts in when Aircon is on. Am I being too hopeful or am I looking in the wrong place on VAG COM in the first place. (Engine controller as there doesnt appear to be a cooling controller)
Paddy

onzarob
17-04-2007, 10:24 PM
Have you read the codes for the instrument cluster, my temp sensor only logs a fault code there.

Mines a faulty sensor and logs a intermitant short code.

also if your car has an oil temperature guage what was it reading?

Rob:D

jak
18-04-2007, 12:15 AM
An autoscan should bring up all fault codes from all controllers but maybe your version doesn't support the newer models.
John

paddymm
19-04-2007, 08:30 PM
Went to VW dealer and what do you know it was the water pump. Good to know that it was covered by the warranty. Technician reckons it probably wouldn't have shown up on VAG com cos sensors were OK. Thanks for the help guys.

guyg
19-04-2007, 08:52 PM
It costs a lot of labour to pull the front apart so it might be worth asking them to do the cam belt and tensioner if they're comming up for renewal any time soon, it should save a lot of dosh compared to having it done later...

Cheers

Guy

onzarob
19-04-2007, 10:35 PM
I agree with guyg on this, get the rest done al well, I was quoted 415 to do cambelt, aux belst and water pump at and audi dealer.

Rob:D