PDA

View Full Version : A few minor 02 passat problems

stormtrooper
17-04-2007, 08:41 PM
Ive got a few tiny little problems with my passat nothing major but just little things that i would like to get sorted in the near future.

Firstly the boot is stiff to open, i know that there is an issue with the boot hinges on passats ive plasterd the boot hinges in WD40 every few days for the last month and its still stiff. Has anyone managed to obtain new improved hinges or managed to take the swivel point apart on the hinge an losen things up?

Secondly the bit around the top of the gear knob is sharp its the ring around the bit that shows the gears. im guessing that its ment to be silver, but mine is a greyish colour is this where the silver has worn off? The only option i can think of is to replace the knob ive had a look on flea bay and i can only find the gator's. Can anyone give me a tip on where to get a new one from and any tips on how to remove the old one before i butcher it.

Last but no means least the car is now at 85k ( miles ) when is a cam belt change due ? the last service was done by Kwik fit by the last owner and it was only an oil change ( ive now done a proper oil and filter change with new plugs )

Also the car is due for its MOT early next month so is there anything i should be looking out for that is a common problem on this car ( 2L sport petrol ) that i could give the once over before i take it in for the MOT.

Many thanks
Scott "stormtrooper"

Eugheugh
18-04-2007, 08:14 AM
The chrome bezel on my Passat gear lever knob has lifted in places and is sharp to touch. I have learnt to live with it though I expect the cost of replacment to be high. Don't know about your boot hinge prob as i have an estate. Get an MOT done well before it is due (3 weeks) and then you will have time to 'shop around' for the best deal on righting any problems that have surfaced. Hope this helps a bit..

Eshrules
18-04-2007, 09:12 AM
The chrome bezel on my Passat gear lever knob has lifted in places and is sharp to touch. I have learnt to live with it though I expect the cost of replacment to be high. Don't know about your boot hinge prob as i have an estate. Get an MOT done well before it is due (3 weeks) and then you will have time to 'shop around' for the best deal on righting any problems that have surfaced. Hope this helps a bit..

you do realise that if you take your car in 3 weeks early and it fails... you wont be able to drive it in the mean time :(

Sam
18-04-2007, 11:07 AM
Ive got a few tiny little problems with my passat nothing major but just little things that i would like to get sorted in the near future.

Not yet anyway!

Firstly the boot is stiff to open, i know that there is an issue with the boot hinges on passats ive plasterd the boot hinges in WD40 every few days for the last month and its still stiff. Has anyone managed to obtain new improved hinges or managed to take the swivel point apart on the hinge an losen things up?There was a recall or a TSB on these hinges in the USA but I don't think it made it here. WD40 is the wrong sort of lubricant to be using, you want something more permanent, don't quote me on this but I think you need a silicone based lube

Secondly the bit around the top of the gear knob is sharp its the ring around the bit that shows the gears. im guessing that its ment to be silver, but mine is a greyish colour is this where the silver has worn off? The only option i can think of is to replace the knob ive had a look on flea bay and i can only find the gator's. Can anyone give me a tip on where to get a new one from and any tips on how to remove the old one before i butcher it.You could try sending www.vagparts.com (http://www.vagparts.com) an email, mentioning me and this site and see what they can offer. As for fitting, I imagine once you have the replacement part it will become obvious.

Last but no means least the car is now at 85k ( miles ) when is a cam belt change due ? the last service was done by Kwik fit by the last owner and it was only an oil change ( ive now done a proper oil and filter change with new plugs )Kwik fit! Bleugh! Cam belt is recommended at 60k by most dealerships but can last longer. Be warned though, if it does break you'll need a new engine. There are reports of them snapping as low as 35k.

Also the car is due for its MOT early next month so is there anything i should be looking out for that is a common problem on this car ( 2L sport petrol ) that i could give the once over before i take it in for the MOT.

Many thanks
Scott "stormtrooper"Mine failed on rear pads, they looked fine on a brief visual inspection but with it up on the lift it was obvious they were poor. Windscreen chips are the MOT man's new enemy too.

Good luck

Dave Elcome
18-04-2007, 05:01 PM
you do realise that if you take your car in 3 weeks early and it fails... you wont be able to drive it in the mean time

Yes he will, it will still have a current MOT certificate!!

Not yet anyway!

Mine failed on rear pads, they looked fine on a brief visual inspection but with it up on the lift it was obvious they were poor.

The condition of brake pads is not part of the MOT, only the efficiency of the brakes.

stormtrooper
21-04-2007, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the replys folks , Sam ill drop vag an email and see what the y come back with

neilc
26-04-2007, 03:36 PM
Firstly the boot is stiff to open, i know that there is an issue with the boot hinges on passats ive plasterd the boot hinges in WD40 every few days for the last month and its still stiff. Has anyone managed to obtain new improved hinges or managed to take the swivel point apart on the hinge an losen things up?

I've got an 02 Sport 130bhp which had the same problem until the swivel joint sheared through. I'd tried all sorts of lube on it to no effect.
Anyway a new bolt, nut and a couple of washers has done the trick and the boot lid opens like a dream.