PDA

View Full Version : Igntion angle 22% and Fuel Pump Relay VCDS faults

headache56
19-08-2009, 01:07 PM
(1)

Vagcom 409.1 (registered) shows my ignition angle at 22% BTDC rather than the suggested 12% maxima. Should I worry ? What should I do ? if anything) please ?
(2)

Also, I disconnected the battery to do a minor job (just removing the gearshift console to check for a rattle which turned out to be a coin underneath the car radio). Rattle now cured.

However, when I reconnected the battery the engine would not start and firstly VAGCM could not connect with the engine controller. So I disconnected the battery then reconnected it again and the engine started first time.

OK, then I ran VAGCOM again and VAGCOM worked first time as usual but I got the VAGCOM fault code (sorry didn't copy it) showing an intermttent fault with relay 30 (the fuel pump relay which powers many other things).

VAGCOM showed no faul codes yesterday. Is it possible that disconnecting then reconnecting the battery could have caused, then fixed, this fault / error ? Or shall I install another fuel pump relay # 30 anyway ?

Crasher
19-08-2009, 01:20 PM
It would help if we knew what the car was…

The 30 relay is the ECU relay, not the fuel pump. 167 is a typical fuel pump relay number.

Sounds like a Golf 3 GTI 8v with an ADY or AGG engine to me.

headache56
19-08-2009, 01:35 PM
Crasher,

Er sorry I was a bit lazy as I was balancing my laptop on well my lap with my handbrake up my proverbial...my car is a 1999 1.8T Passat, APU engine, 92k miles.

Yes, I now see that Relay 30 is the ECU relay which is next to the ECU in the almost-waterproof box near the bulkhead (viewed from under the bonnet). My fuel pump relay looks like # 372. Could leaving the ignition on too long before starting (say for 10 minutes) have caused a temporary failure of the ECU relay ? Shall I replace it anyway - a 2 minute job I think.

With regards the ignition angle - shal I forget it or shodul I try and fix it - er how. Maybe I should reseach it here a bit first ?

Thank you
Kevin

Crasher
19-08-2009, 01:45 PM
Display Group 10 Display Zone 4 at idle should be between 6 and 12 degrees BTDC. Is this the group you are looking at?

headache56
19-08-2009, 04:51 PM
[QUOTE=Crasher;401264]Display Group 10 Display Zone 4 at idle should be between 6 and 12 degrees BTDC. Is this the group you are looking at? Yes but at idle I get 18 degrees (not %) to 22 degrees.

Crasher
19-08-2009, 06:02 PM
That is odd, VW don’t give a procedure for what to do in that situation.

headache56
19-08-2009, 06:32 PM
That is odd, VW don’t give a procedure for what to do in that situation..

Crasher, thanks - OK no problem - I had a new timing belt installed (not by me) at 55k miles and I wonder if a possible lack of attention to detail then, might have anything to do with it. If so, the car has done 35k miles very well since then, so I will not worry. I will checkwhen I next change the timing belt, probably next year, when I have a week to spare ! as my Haynes manual shows me the required 92 steps (to heaven).

If you have any comment on my other issue that would be appreciated e.g. It does it seem odd that I got an ECU relay #30 VAGCOM fault code and the engine fired, started but stopped 2 seconds later after I had disconnected then reconnected the battery.

However, 5 minutes later when I then disconnected the battery the then reconnected it again, and cleared the VAGCOM code, the engine worked 100% OK with no fault code?