PDA

View Full Version : golf mk4 rear brakes noise

Squeaky
17-04-2007, 04:42 PM
I have a 2003 Mk4 Golf V5 which persists in making a loud squealing sound when braked in reverse gear. The VW dealer can't find the problem despite fitting new brake pads. My local QuickFit also can't find an answer. This is my third VW and second Golf and it's likely to be my last. Does anyone out there have any suggestions as to what the porblem might be? The noise is intermittent, only occurs in reverse gear and sounds like metal-on-metal, loud enough to turn heads and really annoying. Any ideas please?

dessimpson
17-04-2007, 05:04 PM
Could be just brake squeal. My old car did it for about 1500 miles after putting on performance brake pads.
I think it's caused by vibration. Make sure there are no black deposits on your disks. You could try chamfering the edges of the pads which apparently can help.
Other than that i'm stumped :(
Best of luck.

Big_E
17-04-2007, 07:22 PM
Sounds crazy, but you've check the obvious things about handbrake is fully off ?? Also your rear suspension is looked at ?

WAJ
21-05-2007, 08:21 PM
I have a 2003 V5 (170Bhp) since new - now with 50kKm The rear breaks do squeel and i have just put it down to the design. It is especially noticeable after i have jet washed the wheels and washed off all the brake dust. With the discs+pads cleaned, when i reverse you need to touch the brakes abit and it squeels like a pig.

On the other hand, my 2004 Passat is perfect.

Andyrg
10-07-2007, 07:51 AM
most common reason is that the breaks have not been serviced correctly. The Noise can come from Cheap Discs and Pads and lack of Copper Slip too ;)