PDA

View Full Version : Is quick detailing between washes safe?

curiousgeorge
18-08-2009, 02:07 PM
Quick detailing a car which has even a thin layer of dirt on surely goes against everything the two bucket method stands for.

Not only are you spreading and rubbing the dirt into the paintwork, but using a short-pile microfibre cloth will trap the dirt.

There is a lot of advice about safety precautions for washing cars but I've seen none for quick detailing.

Plife
19-08-2009, 07:59 AM
I tend to agree with you. I would only ever do a quick detail if the car has been left in the garage and has a thin layer of dust over it. You do risk damaging the paintwork by moving the dirt around!

I tend to use the quick detailer after a normal wash as I find I am often left with water marks on the car, or to help remove bird poo!

Col
19-08-2009, 10:34 AM
It is not ideal but there are ways.

In 2006 there was an extended drought here, no hoses, no nothing so I had to do this.

What I did was use what I'm going to term the "3 micro fibre method"

Two buckets of water one with just a smidge of shampoo in it the other clean.

Use one dripping wet cloth to pull the dust off very gently and rinsing often.

Then use a damp cloth to almost dry , again gently does it and rinse in the clean water. Use QD at this stage.

Then use the 3rd cloth to properly dry.

Thing is, that took twice as long than a normal wash!

I did this throughout the hosepipe ban / water shortage to no noticable ill effect on my old MK4 Golf.

That was then, now there isn't a ban or shortage and I'd never dream of doing it.

I would however go back to it if there were another water shortage.

I think you just have to accept that your car will be dirty towards the end of the week between the weekend washes. Unless you do a proper midweek wash.

A good compromise which makes a hell of a difference is to do just clean the wheels midweek if you don't have time to do the whole lot.

rallymad_nad
26-08-2009, 09:28 AM
You best best is to use a duster before hand to remove and surface dust before you QD to minimise damage. If its dirty is safer just to wash it over, which tbh, if the car is coated well shouldnt take more than 20mins.

curiousgeorge
26-08-2009, 12:34 PM
It was basically just dust, but this dust could nevertheless be abrasive so even 'dusting' it might cause damage.

So I gave it a quick wash.

I'll rather just leave it for a proper monthly wash next time. The more you wash the more risk. I seemd to get new swirls on my recently resprayed bonnet, even using the two bucket method, a deep pile wash mitt and drying with clean microfibre cloths.

I hope they're not swirls, and just the effect of the sealant reflecting in bright sun.

elitedetailer
26-08-2009, 09:11 PM
This is a pretty risky process and its likely you will inflict some kind of light scratching.

You will be better off giving it a rinse rather than trying to "dust" it.

Regards
EliteDetailer :beerchug:

rallymad_nad
27-08-2009, 12:45 AM
This is a pretty risky process and its likely you will inflict some kind of light scratching.

You will be better off giving it a rinse rather than trying to "dust" it.

Regards
EliteDetailer :beerchug:
Sorry, but I thing you'll find a lambswool duster has been proved to cause no noticable damage at all. Polished Bliss will back this up, who are literally the leading detailers in the country.

You are more likely to cause damage in the drying stage when washing the car again if a duster will remove it.

elitedetailer
27-08-2009, 01:01 AM
Sorry, but I thing you'll find a lambswool duster has been proved to cause no noticable damage at all. Polished Bliss will back this up, who are literally the leading detailers in the country.

You are more likely to cause damage in the drying stage when washing the car again if a duster will remove it.

Hi

It's all relative with regards to how much dust is on the vehicle, and in most cases its better to be safe. If your drying towels are clean there is no reason why you will scratch your car when it comes to drying, provided your in a stable environment.

This has been proven by Gurcharn himself, take a look at his company's website, www.elitedetailing.co.uk . (UK's only approved exclusive Mclaren & Maybach Detailer)

Regards
EliteDetailer

rallymad_nad
27-08-2009, 01:18 AM
Hi

It's all relative with regards to how much dust is on the vehicle, and in most cases its better to be safe. If your drying towels are clean there is no reason why you will scratch your car when it comes to drying, provided your in a stable environment.

This has been proven by Gurcharn himself, take a look at his company's website, www.elitedetailing.co.uk (http://www.elitedetailing.co.uk) . (UK's only approved exclusive Mclaren & Maybach Detailer)

Regards
EliteDetailer

Well that comes down to how you are drying and what type of drying implement. Not everyone uses MF drying towels and not everyone has somewhere clean and inside to work on a vehicle.

In regard to Tom Harley's comment on your site, he hasn't met Matt Wakefield or Clarke then :D

china tom
27-08-2009, 09:03 PM
i find it very usefull when used with the right equipment and used after maybe 2 days of light driving but other than that just wash it :)

asonofadad
02-10-2009, 11:52 AM
Give us a clue, what's quick detailing/a quick detailer?

Christian6984
05-10-2009, 08:22 PM
Give us a clue, what's quick detailing/a quick detailer?

its a sort of spray to remove light dust but if the car has been kept in the garage or inbetween polishing.

Unreshy09
25-11-2009, 02:30 AM
I see you have a black or blue G. With continued car washes youll have soooooo manyscratches youll need new paint to recover When they wash your car notice how theyuse the same towel to wipe off the hood that theyve used on the bottom where all thegrime still is........grime = grit = scratches most of which you could never buff outCoin-Op car washes are good but dont use their soap and buy yourself some microfibertowels to wipe off.......rinse several time just to be safe........Good Luck