PDA

View Full Version : First service problems

A1287210
18-08-2009, 08:05 AM
Took my car in for its first service and oil change (19K), everything was ok until it came to the tyres.

My car had Michelins Premacy HD's on and I was informed that the front to were running low...OK, and the rear two were deformed :aargh4::aargh4:

I would understand if i had been going over kerbs or off roading but I have been driving it as if it was made of glass.

Then came the bad part, Audi Sheffield wanted £234.00 per tyre plus fitting :zx11:

So I went to thick fit instead and got 4 Pirrelli's with 25% off. for £630 inc fitting

Has anyone else experienced this and has anyone else had deformed tyres!!!!

PS I know that there are cheaper/better places out there for tyres but it was a work requirement

Damo

AndyH123
18-08-2009, 01:15 PM
My 2.0 TDI just had its first service at 18.5K.

They said I've got another 2 or 3 thousand in the fronts, and the rears are surprisingly healthy.

I need to check my paperwork because my front left was taken out by some nutters who drove into me back in December. I thought they'd replaced both fronts, but maybe they moved them to the back. Anyway.. certainly no deformity and I've a few potholes on the daily commute which are hard to avoid :(

Alan02
18-08-2009, 04:19 PM
You do see tyres with a deformed tread pattern.It can cause a vibration at various speeds.It can happen with a relativley deep tread depth and not neccessarily with a `nearly worn` tyre.

A1287210
18-08-2009, 04:55 PM
The problem was apparently on the inside walls?

Bloater
18-08-2009, 05:39 PM
Buy a Telegraph on Saturday, and HonestJohn's motoring bit will have you answer.

Abnormal wear on the inside wall of tyres he blames on speed cushions. You know, the narrow ones, that your car fits over without seemingly touching them. Apparently the edges of the speed cushion start to fall apart, and wear the tyres, where you can't see.

I always go over these narrow type cushions with one set of wheels, look foolish, but hey, no issues with the tyres, other than conventional wearing them out.

So, think about your routes, and whether there are any of these type of traffic calming around. If so it may be worth changing your driving habits. YMMV

Gary

Hillbeley
18-08-2009, 06:08 PM
Cushions???
Have a look at the Passat Forum, there are loads of posts there from drivers with rear tyres which are 'Coined', (looks like a 3d piece), or with 'sawtooth' patterns, make a real noise and is caused by minor alignment discrepancies.

A1287210
19-08-2009, 07:54 AM
I do stradle speed humps approx 4/5 every day to and from work, but wouldn't you expect the same wear on the front tyres?

Damo