PDA

View Full Version : Fed up with my Touran

Avon1330
17-04-2007, 01:37 PM
I spent £24k 3 years ago for a top of the range 2.0 TDi Touran, with satnav, leather and all the bits

Since then, it has been to the local VW dealership on 19 occasions...yes 19 ! On the last visit, it went in for an airbag fault in mid December and came back early April !!!

The list of faults are endless:-

Water in footwell - diagnosed as a poor fitting air con drain pipe (all carpets replaced
Burning oil
Air bag warning light on ( several times )
Main wiring loom replaced
Failure to startThe VW rescue man thinks that water has gotten into the computer system and this is what most of the problems have been associated with.

We have lost all confidence with this vehicle and now plan to reject it as being 'unfit for purpose'.

Does anyone know what VW's stance would be on this ?

The car is serviced by te local VW agent and has now done 50,000 miles.

PRS

Avon1330
20-04-2007, 11:43 AM
Would you believe it.......

Now the dealership tell me that my Touran needs a new dash, because the lighting circuit warning buzzer for the front door has failed.

This will be the 20th visit to the dealership !!!

Is this a record ?

CRMEDINAR
28-02-2008, 07:51 PM
I need to install a device on the Touran, but need the speed sensor signal. Where can I get it ?? It is a Touran 2004.

Many thanks !

deancentral48
01-03-2008, 08:08 AM
I have the 140PS 7 seater reg 54 49000miles and it has been a lovely car to drive but the first scary thing was the recall to have the fixings for the 2Mass flywheel replaced to prevent fire and total loss of the vehicle!. Since then it has been in about 3 times per year mostly for minor things but recently to have the radiator fans replaced, a front strut replaced, the timing belt adjuster pulley bearing replaced which then generated a leak in the AC resulting in me getting gassed inside the car. Still not fully recovered form that one. With no spare wheel I have now had to have the pump kit liquid replaced. A few hoses to the heating system also gave out along with a hose to the air con radiator. The oxygen sensor also ran up a bit of a fuel bill. However the car has never let me down on the road and I have been able to carry around disabled relatives and many friends, let alone paving stones, railway layouts, etc.
With so many new bits it now feels like a new car...but I love it.

Benbow14
05-03-2008, 12:10 AM
I've just ordered my second Touran. Going from the 1.9Tdi S to a 2.0 Tdi SE DSG. I considered a number of options Merc, Saab Estate, Octavia Elegance Estate, Golf Estate but in the end we like the Touran so much decided to stick with it. The 1.9 never gave any real trouble (couple of warranty jobs but I've no complaints) and returns 55mpg without thinking, 65 on the motorway.

STEWY L
05-03-2008, 12:31 AM
I spent £24k 3 years ago for a top of the range 2.0 TDi Touran, with satnav, leather and all the bits

Since then, it has been to the local VW dealership on 19 occasions...yes 19 ! On the last visit, it went in for an airbag fault in mid December and came back early April !!!

Water in footwell - diagnosed as a poor fitting air con drain pipe (all carpets replaced
Burning oil
Failure to startThe VW rescue man thinks that water has gotten into the computer system and this is what most of the problems have been associated with.

We have lost all confidence with this vehicle and now plan to reject it as being 'unfit for purpose'.

PRS
i would have a look on the "eos" threads. some owners have been down the same road with various results, at least one car was replaced, but i think it's down to how you go about it. have had no probs with my second hand bora, love it, but on your side. read the "eos" section and e mail the most successful for pointers. hope that helps,good luck.

deancentral48
05-03-2008, 07:34 AM
I've just ordered my second Touran. Going from the 1.9Tdi S to a 2.0 Tdi SE DSG. I considered a number of options Merc, Saab Estate, Octavia Elegance Estate, Golf Estate but in the end we like the Touran so much decided to stick with it. The 1.9 never gave any real trouble (couple of warranty jobs but I've no complaints) and returns 55mpg without thinking, 65 on the motorway.

You will find a fuel consumption difference with the 2.0L. The best I have been able to achieve is 48mpg on a long journey but usually it is 42-44mpg with a mix of short and long journies. When it got down to 38mpg I knew there was something wrong (oxygen sensor). The car is going absolutely fine again now but keep an eye on strange smells as my air con gas was leaking and it didn't do me any good at all. :mad: Likewise make sure that they regularly service the pre-heater to avoid fumes being sucked in through the vents.

james_19742000
11-03-2008, 07:46 PM
To the OP, try having a look over on www.clubtouran.net (http://www.clubtouran.net) thats a whole forum dedicated to the Touran, there are many people that have posted with issues and advice. It might be worth postiong on there, see if anyone else has had similar issues.

I know I rejected our old Touran last year as it was a 'Friday afternoon car' poor build quality, always breaking down etc etc, replaced the car but we have a Motability car so circumstances were slightly different, but you arent alone with a poorly Touran.

Hope this helps, James.

ralph61
13-05-2009, 08:36 PM

Burning oil

Failure to start
The VW rescue man thinks that water has gotten into the computer system and this is what most of the problems have been associated with.

PRSI ahve an 04 140ps. Just moved the front passenger seat forward and the 'airbag fault' warning has come on with the dash warning icon. It occasionally mentions pre-tensioners - any ideas?

Phil29
28-05-2009, 11:48 PM
mine always does this when i move the seat and warning light goe off after 2 sec so dont worry about it

MDAVario
11-06-2009, 01:43 PM
Reading all these threads is putting me off buying a Touran........:confused::confused:

maisbitt
11-06-2009, 02:15 PM
I think you'll find it very hard to reject the Touran and get full purchase price back.

If you've ran it for 3 years, wear and tear will diminish the replacement value. You might be able to get them to give you the current forcourt price of your Touran against the cost of something else.

Car rejection is generally something done in the first few months of ownership, no more than 6 months.

You might need some legal advice to have a car replaced/ fully refunded after almost 3 years of ownership.

Does anyone know where the Touran is built? It was probably a new model when you got it, and maybe the factory workforce were inexperienced in building them because of this (no excuse really on VWs part).

andy8442
16-06-2009, 11:46 AM
Problems with a Touran? Surely not ! Try the ESP/ABS threads on this and the Touran Club website, VW just don't make like they use to.

12 YEARS 7 VW'S, NO MORE AFTER THESE 2!

boomboomer
16-06-2009, 07:23 PM
You guy's realise you're answering posts over two years old?

Ralph61 - if you want to ask a question it's best to start a new thread.

There's nothing anymore wrong with the Touran then you'll find with anyother modern, complex car, they all have particular quirks. I think it's better to have them well known, so you'll know what to avoid, or use in arguement with the dealers.

andy8442
16-06-2009, 08:17 PM
You guy's realise you're answering posts over two years old?

Ralph61 - if you want to ask a question it's best to start a new thread.

There's nothing anymore wrong with the Touran then you'll find with anyother modern, complex car, they all have particular quirks. I think it's better to have them well known, so you'll know what to avoid, or use in arguement with the dealers.

You're bang on , but "quirks"? £1500 to fix a problem that VW should be addressing with a recall? There are "quirks" and quirks!

tourantog
16-01-2010, 08:22 PM
Reading all these threads is putting me off buying a Touran........:confused::confused:

I have the 1.9tdi it has 95,000 miles on and does 55mpg - i cant think of a better 7 seater. ( i have had a couple o minor problems, broken a rear coil spring, MAF sensor died, rear door lock wire broke, EGR valve stuck) but I have no regrets buying it, lots of modern cars have problems.

mort003
02-03-2010, 10:48 PM
Would you believe it.......

Now the dealership tell me that my Touran needs a new dash, because the lighting circuit warning buzzer for the front door has failed.

This will be the 20th visit to the dealership !!!

Is this a record ?
Hi I am working on a '03 touran 2.0 TDI for a customer and have spent all day locating loads of electrical problems stored in many control units. Finally found primary cause . Water entry into fuse board under bonnet. initial inspection shows dry board but upon removal and a good shake slight droplets of water emerged. Stripped board (series of sandwiched layers compose the board. Main power supply to J519 (power distribution board in car) was intermittant & poor . New board £139 + VAT new cover £16 + VAT. Can't wait to fit (on order VAG) Circuits affected SRS, Power Windows, Wipers, mirrors, heater controls Engine fans cutting in after ign off (car cold)
etc . Maybe worth a look under some of the relays for any signs of moisture.
Cheers Ken