PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Location of thermostat housing

Dwayne
16-08-2009, 08:34 PM
Hi, recently purchased a Seat ALhambra 1.9 TDI 1998 model. I'm having some overheating problems and thought i'd start with changing the thermostat but I cannot find it for love nor money. I have bought a Ford Galaxy Haynes manual but it doesn't add up with what that tells you. Can someone please tell me where the housing is so I can change the thermo? Thanks
Dwayne.

kenney
16-08-2009, 08:59 PM
The thermostat is on the bottom of the coolant pump,follow the lower radiator hose to the pump

Dwayne
16-08-2009, 09:12 PM
Ok, thanks I'll have a look at it tommorrow, thanks again.

VAGMAN54
17-08-2009, 07:15 PM
also check the rad ,i have changed a few thats been blocked causing overheating problems,is your rad hot top and bottom and is the fan working ?

Gaz501
22-05-2015, 10:17 PM
also check the rad ,i have changed a few thats been blocked causing overheating problems,is your rad hot top and bottom and is the fan working ?

hey there VAGMAN54,

just out of curiosity, how would you go about checking for a blocked rad? as my '98 seat alhambra's fans dont kick in, even when its about to red line on the temp gauge. the fans will swtich on when aircon in use, but thats about it. any info youve got, or can redirect me too would be great.

Gaz.

glowplug
11-06-2015, 08:52 AM
If you have two fans then you have four possible issues. It could be that the main rad fan is gone, one of the fuses has gone, the thermal switch or you have a problem with the fan controller unit/relay. I would start with the fuse and then the thermal switch. Fans tend to be fairly robust. However if you only have one big fan then it could either be the thermal switch which is located on the bottom rad hose OR the the fan fuse. The problem with these cars is that there are so many damn variations of switches, fan's etc over their 10 year lifespan BUT the basic principles remain the same. Buy yourself a Haynes manual which will show you where the various components are.