PDA

View Full Version : Upgrades aplenty!!!

avant_adam
14-08-2009, 10:48 PM
As a newbie on here I am astonished by the number of forum members who already own A4 B8 models that seem to be in the process of ordering / waiting for their new A4 to arrive. Does everyone 'round here have their A4 as a lease car on a 12 month lease or do you all just like losing money on brand new cars?

I plan to have my A4 for a few years and enjoy it. Sure, there are new gadgets released by Audi (seemingly by the month) that I'd like, but not enough to change my car every model year. :1zhelp:

Am I just too poor to be on this forum? Do I need a new car on order every 6 months to fit in? :aargh4:

I'm being flippant. I am curious though. Why does everyone seem to change cars so frequently? :confused:

Avant Adam with as many toys as he could afford....

ScottyUK
15-08-2009, 09:18 AM
Hi Adam,

As a newbie you've obviously missed out on a lot of past posts and hence I can see why you're coming to your conclusion.

The fact of the matter is that there's a few people on here (myself included) who had MY2009 B8's delivered only to find problems. In my case they forgot the parking sensors and the minor issue of quattro :zx11:. In others cases it's been poor paint finish etc etc

So no we are not all throwing cash about and getting new cars every 6 months. The fact is we're letting Audi throw the cash about and we're simply getting the new MY2010 cars :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Jop
15-08-2009, 11:36 AM
My radio didn't work and believe it or not they were unable to fix it. I caused a bit of a stink and I ended up up with a replacement 2010 model car, so took the opportunity of ordering a couple upgrades. Basically I spent the depreciation that i didn't loose on extra toys.

Thumbs up to Stansted Audi for sorting everything out.

onzarob
15-08-2009, 11:42 AM
Am I just too poor to be on this forum? Do I need a new car on order every 6 months to fit in? :aargh4:
? :confused:

Absolutely not, my audi was 7 years old and cost me £3000 when i bought it...great car and a bargain to boot, I now own a 2006 Golf and that didn't cost allot either.

I do enjoy reading the posts by the fortunate to own new cars, but one man new car is my secondhand purchase ;)

avant_adam
17-08-2009, 03:04 AM
:Blush2:

I feel a little stupid and quite a lot surprised. Good that audi sorted people out in the end but bad that the cars were wrong in the first place . Got me worried now.

Thanks for setting me straight.

kodkod.84
17-08-2009, 08:43 AM
Yep I get first call on Scotty's Avant when he comes to sell it :biglaugh:

ScottyUK
17-08-2009, 09:40 AM
That's very true....on the assumption you've got most money of course :D

mkc
18-08-2009, 09:40 AM
There is a chap on here who has had a car every six months though I think, but I think hes the odd one out. I think he had a B8 A4, then a A5 and now a S3......... but most I think are private purchases to be enjoyed over a few years, problems with cars that have been delivered or company cars on a fairly long lease.

Youll only see the ones about people waiting for cars or the ones returning cars due to faults and currently have a loaner B8. Nothing to worry about

ScottyUK
18-08-2009, 10:20 AM
Youll only see the ones about people waiting for cars or the ones returning cars due to faults and currently have a loaner B8. Nothing to worry about

The fact so many cars are having to be made again is genuinelly quite worrying. Instead of excitement I'm wondering if the new car will be 100% correct.

If it's not then I guess I'll have free motoring even longer ;)

CarbonS4
18-08-2009, 12:43 PM
The fact so many cars are having to be made again is genuinelly quite worrying. Instead of excitement I'm wondering if the new car will be 100% correct.

If it's not then I guess I'll have free motoring even longer ;)

I think a lot of us on here have learned a hard lesson from Scotty's bad experience, checking / double checking and tripple checking with the dealer and build data to make sure things are right. Our car arrived at the dealer last week and it was spot on. :approve:

mkc
18-08-2009, 02:27 PM
Yeah when I say things are wrong I dont mean mechanically wrong. Weve had some dodgy paint finishes but many are items actually missing off the car, such as the drive to the rear wheels for one.

troc
18-08-2009, 02:32 PM
In my case, I'm fairly certain the paint damage happened in transit from the factory to the dealer. Mechanically, the car seemed perfect :)

I think I'll be collecting my car around the 14th of September as that's a nicely convenient date for the wife and I as she can pick up her fiesta at the same time ;)

John

Hippogriff
18-08-2009, 02:35 PM
I think a lot of us on here have learned a hard lesson from Scotty's bad experience, checking / double checking and tripple checking with the dealer and build data to make sure things are right.

Agreed. I treat it as a "lesson learned" for me... sometimes I just let things happen, but having heard a couple of horror stories... and all the confusion surrounding chrome rolled exhausts and AMI cables to boot... I decided to do what was necessary, via email, to ensure my dealer, basically, triple-checks things before it gets sent to me.

I was, of course, told the party line; that being "Obviously the vehicle is checked before it leaves that Factory to ensure that it has been built to the correct specification. However, it is also part of the Pre-Delivery Inspection for our Technicians to check all of the Factory Options have been fitted to the vehicle. Therefore ensuring that the delivery of your new Audi should go smoothly." which is perfectly fine - you can't expect anyone to talk about things going wrong, can you? But I have just nudged something in their minds that means there's no point in them sending me something that is wrong... especially if it's been through so much quality control.

Can't do more, really.

ScottyUK
18-08-2009, 02:52 PM
I got a print out this time from the D I A Log system. Pages 2 and 3 are fine but page 1 doesn't show the letter "q" for quattro.

I informed them and I've been assurred it's been checked many times ...... but time will tell ;)

CarbonS4
19-08-2009, 11:50 AM
I got a print out this time from the D I A Log system. Pages 2 and 3 are fine but page 1 doesn't show the letter "q" for quattro.

I informed them and I've been assurred it's been checked many times ...... but time will tell ;)

what do they say about lightening striking twice :aargh4:

Scotty, you had a B6 S4 (non standard) I think. Mine went in for service yesterday and they gave me a A4 2.0t quattro S Line for the day, intersesting comparison between the Turbo thump and the V8 grunt, how are you finding life with yours, compared to the old S4.

ScottyUK
19-08-2009, 12:21 PM
I too had a 2.0T loaner when I had my B6 S4 (modded to about 390bhp).

That was a B7 and a long time before we thought about changing cars but I do remember saying to the Mrs that "To be honest, it's actually more than fast enough for most circumstances".

Of course more power is nice when you want a snap overtake but it does lure you into doing moves that, although not dangerous, do make people coming towards you think it will be. In the S4 I'd be back on my side of the road in no time and even had people wave to apologise for flashing. It surprised me how quick it could dispatch another car so it wasn't surprising that people coming towards me would think I would be cutting it close.

But the 2.0T is indeed fast enough for 95% of the time. I do miss some of the lazy torque that a 4.2 V8 gives you and you have to work the 2.0T car and the gear box but the power is there once you prepare. It takes a little time to change your mid set but the only thing I really miss is the noise.....oh and quattro :zx11:

I get the fix of speed from a motorbike now so I can't really say I'm missing the performance. I was tempted to go for the new S4 and for the money I'm spending on the loaded 2.0T I could have done but I simply wouldn't exploit it. If I spec'ed an S4 it would be stupid money (as I'd add the seats, full dynamic, rear diff etc etc) for not a lot of benefit to me. Many will think it made to have a 2.0T instead of a similar priced S4 but I'll use the toys I've ordered where as I wouldn't much use the S4 power. It's simply that if I'm on my own then I'll often go by m/bike. If I've the wife, 4 year old and new born then the S4's not going to go any faster than a 2.0T anyway.

Horses for courses but I'm happy with the 2.0T.

How are you finding it? Does it deep down make you think "why am I spending so much on fuel in the S4 when this does the job?" or are you itching to get your car back?

CarbonS4
19-08-2009, 01:24 PM
To be honest, I did like the 2.0t, build quality ect, but was surprised with the lack of low rev pull, reminded me of my Scooby. Having said that it did put the power down well, as you will find out when you get your Quattro ;) I do think the new S4 would be a superb machine, but no V8 :aargh4: and as you say a LOT of money for quite a low spec car, I think the RS6 is much better overall value for money, but again look at the purchase and running costs.
I am in the very lucky position where the better half can at last opt out with her Co car so we have gone for the Avant S Line Exec with some toys as her daily drive and our work horse (sea kayaks and mountain bikes) hence 2.0TDI, and I still get to use the S4 as my daily drive, and yes I do know how lucky I am to be in that position.

I do love my S4 though, it was great to jump back in it last night and drive home from the dealer :biglaugh: