PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Flywheel

Hamdoc
14-08-2009, 05:09 PM
Looking for your opinions & advice. My wife's Golf Plus 1.9Tdi, 06 plate has done 34,554 miles and the flywheel has "exploded" according to my local garage. It caused damage to the gearbox & I'm facing a hefty bill. I've contacted the dealer I got the car from who feels that as it is now out of warranty & was overdue it's last service VW are unlikely to pay for any of the repair. Surely a failure such as this is very premature in a car of this age & clearly points to a faulty part which would not have been picked up on a routine service anyway?

CharlesCourtney
17-08-2009, 05:22 PM
I am sorry to hear that. You are not totally without a claim to the dealer that sold you the car, but you will need to show that the Flywheel was faulty at the time the dealer sold you the car (most likely a manufacturing fault) then you may have a claim under the Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002

So you would need to find out what the cause of the flywheel exploding was - this is going to be the hard part - ask the garage (assuming it is not the dealer) what they think. What were the circumstances at the time it failed ?

I can't say for sure but I think it unlikely that any fault would have been picked up at a service - which may work in your favour relating to the "late for service" part of your dealers response.

CharlesCourtney
27-08-2009, 01:03 PM
Looking for your opinions & advice. My wife's Golf Plus 1.9Tdi, 06 plate has done 34,554 miles and the flywheel has "exploded" according to my local garage. It caused damage to the gearbox & I'm facing a hefty bill. I've contacted the dealer I got the car from who feels that as it is now out of warranty & was overdue it's last service VW are unlikely to pay for any of the repair. Surely a failure such as this is very premature in a car of this age & clearly points to a faulty part which would not have been picked up on a routine service anyway?

Any update on this problem ?