PDA

View Full Version : Split Servicing

Niko
13-08-2009, 12:51 PM
2.0 TDI 143. At 18.5k miles and showing 900 to go till first service. Oil changed at 12k miles (first change) and then re-set to cover 9K miles until the next oil service.

That means a trip to the dealer for the first service will occur in around 3 weeks and then another trip for the next oil change in about 6 weeks from now, i.e. 3 weeks apart. Would it not make sense to drop the oil every 10k miles and service every 20k miles. That way you 'join up' the servicing and reduce trips to dealer, i.e. every 10k miles (mini) and every 20k miles (maxi). I recognise it is dependant on driving style etc. Am I missing something obvious?

I am going to ask the dealer if the warranty will be affected if I opt for 10k oil changes and stretch to servicing/maintenance to occur every 20K miles. Any thoughts?

Kj5cott
16-08-2009, 10:06 AM
Hi, I've covered 45K miles thus had 4 services. I've found that after oil change service the interval to next oil change service is around 9K miles however when full service carried out in between the oil change service resets as they change the oil as part of full service anyway. I'm a high mileage user and the split servicing I not as economic for me. I think the long service intervals are more beneficial if you intend to keep the car for 5 years and do less than 9K miles per annum.