PDA

View Full Version : Replacing gear lever knob

alogbe
13-08-2009, 12:18 PM
I have a 2007 A6 with the manual gearbox. Can anyone tell me how to remove the gear lever knob? It looks as though it should simply unscrew, but it doesn't seem to want to move - unless it's just a matter of brute force.

Duffelcoat
13-08-2009, 12:49 PM
If it is a screw thread, then it can take a fair bit of force to unscrew,

My Audi has a screw off gearknob, but its a 1997 A6.

Why do you want to get it off?

alogbe
13-08-2009, 03:21 PM
Just to replace it with one I like better. Not exactly the technical problem of the month.

Duffelcoat
13-08-2009, 03:33 PM
If you are fairly sure it is a screw thread, then I wouldnt be too afraid to put some extra force into it, depends how confident you are, but I have had to give some other gearknobs some surprising amount of force to loosed it slightly and then it should screw off easily.

You could try phoning Audi and asking them how much a replacement knob is and if it is a screw type. Claim you have damaged yours and are wondering if you can simply replace it.

When they tell you the price just say I will have a think about it or something!

You're not going all max power on it with a skull knob or something!?

alogbe
13-08-2009, 03:44 PM
If you are fairly sure it is a screw thread...No, unfortunately, I'm not.

Also I've done some more searching and I've found previous discussions on the same question, but related to Passats and other VAG group cars. It seems that typically the knob and gaiter have to be removed together, and that if you brutally unscrew the knob you will probably damage the gaiter.

If I can lift up the gaiter from the bottom edge and then see what I'm doing, I'll try it. Otherwise I think I'll leave well alone.

Thanks for all the input.

Duffelcoat
13-08-2009, 04:24 PM
Fair doos, probably better to be safe rather than sorry, probably someone else will be able to tell you for sure!

A6Johnny
13-08-2009, 11:37 PM
I am pretty certain that you unclip and lift the gear lever boot up and over gear lever knob you should see a small clip you pull off, then the knob should pull off....