PDA

View Full Version : Crashed.

mallymclane
13-08-2009, 10:28 AM
Collected it July 20th, driving to work this morning and a moped zoomed around a bend, on my side of the road above the speed limit, had no chance to avoid him...

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=298657&id=680790547&l=ac8baf2640
(no login required)

Fortunately, no injuries, which considering the impact of his head (but inside a helmet) on the windscreen.....

m

shark_90
13-08-2009, 10:45 AM
Bloody hell.. I hope he's insured. So many of them aren't.

mallymclane
13-08-2009, 10:47 AM
Police attended, checked us both and breathalysed us both - We both passed, so he does have insurance...

Crasher
13-08-2009, 10:51 AM
About time motorbikes were banned. Four deaths in Nottingham alone THIS WEEK! They are a menace to themselves and other road users.

robtt09
13-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Wow you were lucky the moped rider was very very lucky! If you had been in a Land Rover there would have been a very different result ! I drive most of my time on minor roads like yours and this is the nightmare situation we can all face . My step daughter stuffed her Corsa into the front of a John Deere massive tractor on a similar road.Front of Corse went UNDER the metal block on the front of the tractor (missed airbag sensors so they never went off) and it ended up in the front windscreen.She got out OK but one very shaken 18 year old.

Jop
13-08-2009, 11:13 AM
bl00dy hell.
its clear from these pictures that he was WAYYYYY over on the wrong side.
These types of lanes worry me, best driven at night when you can see oncomming headlights.

ScottyUK
13-08-2009, 12:12 PM
Jeez - that's terrible! Glad he didn't come through the screen at you. I'm amazed he was able to do the breathaliser after that :(

About time motorbikes were banned. Four deaths in Nottingham alone THIS WEEK! They are a menace to themselves and other road users.

Get a grip fella! Shall we ban all cars because EVERY one who drives one is a total ****? That must be true coz I saw one acting the idiot this morning!!!

Do you generalise people based on their colour or country of origin, etc etc ?

Don't tag every biker with the same image just because there's some idiots who ride them. :mad:

mallymclane
13-08-2009, 12:16 PM
To be honest, I don't think he was driving like a ****, just driving without experience, not knowing how fast and at what angle to take corners etc...

Jop
13-08-2009, 12:41 PM
I know I think BIKE when driving, but i dont think bikers think CAR when they are riding. I doubt they think anything but, "LET ME PAST" .

This opinion is based on 10+ years driving experience and not a just on a couple of morons.

Crasher
13-08-2009, 12:52 PM
Get a grip fella! Shall we ban all cars because EVERY one who drives one is a total ****? That must be true coz I saw one acting the idiot this morning!!!

Do you generalise people based on their colour or country of origin, etc etc ?

Don't tag every biker with the same image just because there's some idiots who ride them. :mad:

Yes, yes and yes I will-I hate them all!

My mechanic Matt (who is still off after 2 months) went through the screen and landed on the driver apparently. This is one of the reasons my dislike of bikes has become a hatred of them.

Add to that my MOT station owner is dead and my heating engineer is also dead, both on bikes. I don’t know anyone who has been killed in a car accident.

avant_adam
13-08-2009, 01:17 PM
That must have been pretty scary for you both. Glad that there's nothing more serious than the car and bike damaged.

Looks as though the rider largely missed the bonnet and just hit the winscreen.

At least everyone is insured.

mallymclane
13-08-2009, 01:45 PM
True.

But the is less than a month old... if it's a write off, what will the payout be...?

Sportwag
13-08-2009, 02:21 PM
True.

But the is less than a month old... if it's a write off, what will the payout be...?

In the first year following registration, it SHOULD be a replacement car (best to check your policy though). If it is repairable, it is likely to go to a bodyshop assigned by the Insurance Co (not necessarily Audi Approved). Do not accept the repaired car unless you are totally happy with the quality of the repair (check alignment of panel gaps, overspray, paint swirls, buffer trails, paint defects etc).

zollaf
13-08-2009, 02:28 PM
looking at the bend hes put in your roof, i would say he is a very lucky young man.i do think your car is a write off though as a result of this.
i also think bikes are far too dangerous to be allowed. my elder brother was a biker in the early 80s, and is very lucky to still be here, after several lucky escapes. unfortunately, at least 20 of his friends wernt so lucky. having seen the affects of tarmac vs leather then skin at high speed has certainly put me off.

mkc
13-08-2009, 02:57 PM
Obviously we dont want this turning into a Bike V Car thread. My Dad was killed 6 years ago by a 17 year old in a 1.9 205 GTI. He had passed his test that day in a Corsa 1.1 and jumped into his GTI in the afternoon. He was on his way to a breakers yard to find some bits for his car. The young lad cut acorner and hit my dad head on.

I cant see how people can say that Bikes should be banned etc. For every biker that speeds or breaks the highway code there are plenty of car drivers who do the same.

When ever I see a bike now I move over and let it in front of me. Id rather have it in front than sit on my tail drifting in and out of view of my mirrors. Luckily nobody appears to be hurt here and hopefully the biker will pay more attention to his position on the road and that of other road users,

mallymclane
13-08-2009, 03:02 PM
He is claiming I was in the middle of the road..but I have 2 issues with that...

1) Where the damage is to the bumper of my car
2) it's a one lane road! As you can see from my photos...

audia4tdv
13-08-2009, 03:23 PM
In the first year following registration, it SHOULD be a replacement car (best to check your policy though). If it is repairable, it is likely to go to a bodyshop assigned by the Insurance Co (not necessarily Audi Approved). Do not accept the repaired car unless you are totally happy with the quality of the repair (check alignment of panel gaps, overspray, paint swirls, buffer trails, paint defects etc).

Firstly sorry for your bad luck.. proper gutting!! At least your alive and well hey!!

Agree RE Insurance.. If your insured fully comp which no doubt you are..
Your insurers will deal with you claim and recover their losses from the moped drivers insurers!

It should be a replacement vehicle like for like.. have a read of your policy wording it'll be stated near the front under the fully comp section. My insurers say they will repalce my vehcile if the incident happened within 12 months of first registration PROVIDED THAT.. any cost of repair of damage covered by the policy exceeds 50% of the UK list price..

BUT again i stress you check your own policy in detail!

Jop
13-08-2009, 03:28 PM
!IMPORTANT INFO THAT SOME DONT KNOW!

You are perfectly entitled to choose your preferred body shop. you do NOT have to use the bodyshop/repair center that your insurance company want's you to use.

- If you choose your own bodyshop though you may loose your entitlement to a courtesy car provided by the insurance company, however you should be able to get a courtesy car from the body/repair center and have that billed to your insurance company.
The insurance company will of course insist on sending a trusted evaluator to see your car if you dont use their preferred center.

CarinArr
13-08-2009, 04:02 PM
Hmm, stupidly we had temporary gap insurance which we were sure was valid for another week (but ran out Monday), and just realised insurers (Admiral) don't seem to offer to replace new cars like for like, but give you cash settlement.

I suppose we should be greatful we got an extremely good deal and paid well short of list price for the car...

(This is Mally's wife by the way..;) )

adam6900
13-08-2009, 08:44 PM
That will probably go 50/50 on the insurance

Crasher
14-08-2009, 08:57 AM
There is no way I would have that car back, a re-roofed car will never be right. The same goes for a re-shell, they are horrid to live with, never the same build feel.

mkc
14-08-2009, 09:32 AM
What would happen if that was fixed and then you rolled the car in a future mishap? Would any work be as strong as when it left the factory?

bez101
14-08-2009, 11:11 AM
come on crasher not all riders are like the idiots that speed around and put themselfs and others at risk iv been rideing from around 10 year old both on the track and roads iv never caused an accident but had plenty of car drivers nealy take me out yeah and i do speed from time to time same as in a car but bikers well most of us them look around alot more than car drivers and the 4 in nottingham is gona rise when and if the weather comes

Crasher
14-08-2009, 01:17 PM
I just tire of seeing people smashed pointlessly up, “to die for?”, no way! Last night on TV, a Central TV reporter lying in a hospital bed with her face all smashed up after going under a car, yes quite probably the car drivers fault, it often is but if you get involved in a crash on a bike it does not matter who’s fault it is, the biker is going to come off the worst. One day I can see some serious legislation coming though over bikes.

AndyH123
14-08-2009, 02:19 PM
Not an enjoyable thread to read. Just wanted to echo the comment above about not having to use your insurer's preferred body shop.

Not sure how much detail I put in my crash thread (car full of younglings took me out back around Christmas by driving the wrong way across a junction), but I ended up abandoning my own insurance company altogether and using a no fault claim company. It was the only way I could guarantee an Audi dealer carried out the repairs.

Best of luck.

ScottyUK
14-08-2009, 03:48 PM
There is no way I would have that car back, a re-roofed car will never be right. The same goes for a re-shell, they are horrid to live with, never the same build feel.

What makes you think you'd have a choice? It's all very well making bold comments that you wouldn't take it back but it's not your decision. If the insurers deem it's repairable then thats it.

rd1
14-08-2009, 11:15 PM
just be aware that if you do take it to a non nominated repairer and they are more expensive then the insurance one, what they may opt to do is pay you the lower figure and you will be responsible for the difference to the repairer.
This is the argument I got into when I insisted that my A4 went to Audi after a minor collision, the insurers said fine your choice but
"we are able to keep our costs down by using our own selected repairers so we may exercise our right to reimburse a max of what it would have cost to repair with our nominated repairer".
And this was on a very clear other driver claim, I was parked and he rolled down the hill into me. So be aware that you could be into a very big bill unless you have a very good insurance company.
Hope it works out for you anyway and the main thing is that no one was hurt.

ScottyUK
15-08-2009, 09:34 AM
What makes you think you'd have a choice? It's all very well making bold comments that you wouldn't take it back but it's not your decision. If the insurers deem it's repairable then thats it.

'Crashed' - I forgot to add :

I had a TT that I had a big smash in on the Nurburgring. It had every single body panel replaced (admittedly with the exception of the roof and amazingly no broken glass). It had a new front sub frame, steering rack, both inter-coolers, all round wheels and suspension etc etc

It drove as good as new. If it hadn't then I'd have had to battle with them to get it sorted. You simply do not have the choice to chose whether you determine it's a write off or not.

Mallymclane - I think it's likely this car will be written off but I'm no engineer and it could well end up back being repaired.

In America if you end up in the situation where you have a crash repaired car, you can claim for the future loss in value. I often think the US is too keen to get the legal people involved but in situations like this I think it should be the same in this country. Why should the innocent party (although this may yet go 50.50) end up being worse off. That's why we have insurance. Good luck with the claim.

mkc
02-09-2009, 04:04 PM
How are you coming along with the insurance issues and claims on this accident mate?

mallymclane
03-09-2009, 08:24 AM
The car is being repaired at Bristol Audi (so Audi Approved and not the insurer repaired garage). They stripped it right down and the shell si not damaged, so the strength and integrity of the car is not compromised.

Cost to fix, £8500......

We've been driving around in a Subaru Forrester (ugh, horrible, horrible car) and now a Golf Estate courtesy of helphire (passed on to us by Admiral). The moped driver is disputing the claim, saying I was in the middle of the road, which I'm disputing because...:

1) It's a one lane road really
2) You can see my car and the debris from it neatly on the side of the road
3) In an altered image:

http://www.mally.net/accident/Crash3.jpg

If I'd have been right over on the opposite side of the road, he'd have to still be in the middle of the road to hit me where he did (only one side of the bumper is smashed).

So it trundles on....

mkc
03-09-2009, 09:23 AM
That dealer is very close to where I live. Did the accident happen in the Bristol area then?

mallymclane
03-09-2009, 09:24 AM
Somerset... but Audi only have 3 in the area: Bristol Audi, Platinum in Bath (who I've heard bad things about) and one in Melksham....

a main dealer seemed the safest choice...

bez101
03-09-2009, 09:40 AM
a work friend of mine just had his claim settled happend with a bike same sort of road your happend on they did a 50/50 on the claim and same on the whiplash they just couldnt prove who was at fault its like a 1 lane road so you both had the right to be where u was and to be honest the biker was takeing the right line for a single lane road and also so was you you couldnt be anywhere else
good luck and i wouldnt have that car back with the repairs its haveing u insurance covers you for the cost of the car you should have pushed for a new 1 or top value

mallymclane
03-09-2009, 09:41 AM
The car is 28ish new...

The repairs are 8.5k...

I doubt anyone could push for an "extra" 20k....

juniperz
03-09-2009, 10:02 AM
That dealer is very close to where I live. Did the accident happen in the Bristol area then?
OT, but that's 3 of us near Bristol - anyone got VAG COM??

ScottyUK
03-09-2009, 10:12 AM
I went head to head with a van down a single track road about 20 years ago. Despite me being stationary and him sliding the last 10 feet on the gravel/muck, it still went 50/50. :(

mkc
03-09-2009, 10:29 AM
OT, but that's 3 of us near Bristol - anyone got VAG COM??

Where abouts are you? Id like some VAG if anyone has it going for £££

juniperz
03-09-2009, 10:51 AM
Where abouts are you? Id like some VAG if anyone has it going for £££
I am in Bradley Stoke and hoping that someone locally has one already.

mallymclane
03-09-2009, 10:53 AM
my mechanic has one:

http://www.paulgunstone.com/

I'd recommend him...

ScottyUK
03-09-2009, 10:59 AM
I'm driving down to Cornwall soon but I don't think my Mrs will like me stopping for a few hours in Bristol :(

Why don't you all come down to Cornwall ? :D

juniperz
03-09-2009, 11:00 AM
my mechanic has one:

I'd recommend him...

Thanks - I go through Temple Cloud to get to my parents in Ston Easton...

juniperz
03-09-2009, 11:20 AM
my mechanic has one:

I'd recommend him...

Thanks - I go through Temple Cloud on the way to my parents in Ston Easton... (though the Cornwall offer is tempting ;) )

Whoops - how did I manage to do that twice???

sunil1234
03-09-2009, 01:33 PM
Yes, yes and yes I will-I hate them all!

My mechanic Matt (who is still off after 2 months) went through the screen and landed on the driver apparently. This is one of the reasons my dislike of bikes has become a hatred of them.

Add to that my MOT station owner is dead and my heating engineer is also dead, both on bikes. I don’t know anyone who has been killed in a car accident.

chill mate

my dads best friends daughter died in a car accident, she was hit by a drunk driver in a car on the wrong side of the a-road

mallymclane
23-03-2010, 01:46 PM
Good news today, all costs full recovered! My excess cheque is on it's way to me! :) :) :)

ScottyUK
23-03-2010, 06:41 PM
:beerchug: Good to hear! :beerchug:

RickT
23-03-2010, 11:17 PM
Good news today, all costs full recovered! My excess cheque is on it's way to me! :) :) :)

Good stuff!!

Hows the car??

Rick

mallymclane
24-03-2010, 09:00 AM
Cars grand, after the 8.5k of repairs last August ;-)

troc
24-03-2010, 09:48 AM
Eight and a half grand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:aargh4::aargh4::aargh4:

Glad the car is happy again though!

sprint
24-03-2010, 12:51 PM

A completely idiotic response.

Most bike accidence are caused by non observant car drivers simply not taking the time to look or they are on their mobile phones or playing with their controls.

I am an Audi owner/diver and a motorcyclist of many years and I have seen it all.

Crasher
24-03-2010, 02:35 PM
Firstly let me point out that when I wrote that in August last year I was under severe stress due to being under staffed because my mechanic Matt was in a comma after suffering serious head injuries in a motorbike accident.

Stand on Wilkinson Street in Nottingham at around 8.15 each weekday morning and watch the maniac in silver an black overalls on a very big super bike come down there at well in excess of double the speed limit, often on the wrong side off the road and even on the wrong side of the pedestrian crossing refuge and then tell me it is a car driver's fault. One day WHEN he falls off after braking and wiggling his rear over the tram tracks as he does each day whilst overtaking a car at the lights on the junction as they BOTH turn left, I will be the first in line to give evidence to the police about his previous conduct.

Today I have received the news that Matt may return to work sometime in the next few months after having been off work for the best part of a year after going through the windscreen of an oncoming car that was not on the wrong side of the road, I still don’t know if it has been decided who was at fault but whoever was at fault, major brain injuries are not nice. My heating engineer and my MOT station owner will never return to work as they are both dead, one was his own fault, the other debatable as the tractor was allowed to cross the road but unfortunately he came barrelling around the country lane corner and went under it!

Not all car drivers are idiots on their phones (I will not even use hands free, I find a safe place and pull over and stop) and not all motorcyclists have a halo above their helmet, there is good and bad on both sides.

MalcQV
24-03-2010, 03:54 PM
I am an Audi owner/diver and a motorcyclist of many years and I have seen it all.

They suffer like the Passat with plenum leaks. Been there it sucks :(

Bristle Hound
25-03-2010, 04:05 PM
Bit of a sweeping statement, not going to comment at length, so far as to say ... no, I won't! :aargh4:

ScottyUK
25-03-2010, 06:18 PM
A completely idiotic response.

Most bike accidence are caused by non observant car drivers simply not taking the time to look or they are on their mobile phones or playing with their controls.

As a motorcyclist and one who was knocked off two weeks ago by a van doing an illegal right turn, leading to my partially dislocated shoulder and nearly financially writting off my motorbike, I'm afraid I disagree. To be honest I'm glad that your statement is incorrect as the fact that most motorbike accidents are caused by the rider means that there's more chance of it being down to us and I'd rather be in charge of my own destiny than it be in the hands of others.

My comments are based on the stats published by Essex Police for Killed/Seriously Injured accidents. I believe they're representative of the country at large but I'm willing to be corrected.

I think the latest stats are 2007 which are here : http://www.drivingcasualtiesdown.org/downloads/m-cycle_stats_2007.pdf

70% is motorbike at fault!

[edit] I've just found a document from November 2009.

http://comad.essexcc.gov.uk/ComadDocuments/Meeting/2004/Safer%20Stronger%20Minutes%20Approved%20November%2 0Final.pdf

"With regard to motor cycle incidents, 65% of these were considered to be the fault of the rider."

This of course doesn't mean 65-70% of rides are bad/dangerous etc as the percentage of accidents is tiny compared with the number of rides. At my Advanced group Essex Police gave a presentation a few months ago. One thing riders need to do is look at themselves rather than just blaming car drivers ...... although as I said my recent accident was his fault.

Crasher
25-03-2010, 07:34 PM
And whoever’s fault it is, in the vast majority of cases the motorcyclist comes off worst, whoever’s fault it is, it still hurts…

ScottyUK
25-03-2010, 07:45 PM
Indeed. The old saying stands "There's no point being DEAD right".

Despite the van that hit me being in the wrong, I'm still kicking myself for not expecting the unexpected well enough. At the end of the day, he went home without a scratch and will just get a claim on his insurnace (fingers crossed). I'm the one with the black toe nail and ****** up shoulder.