PDA

View Full Version : A6 Avant / Passat Estate size comparison?

codlord
13-08-2009, 10:10 AM
Hi there,

I am currently trying to buy a car, probably either an A6 or Passat estate (1999-2004 sort of model), does anyone here know how they compare for drivers space, passenger space and boot space? (although mainly boot space I am interested in)

I have seen some figures/stats on the load space etc but I really wanted a real-world comparison from someone who has seen/driven both.

Thanks

SiliconS
13-08-2009, 07:55 PM
I know nothing about the Passat, but if it's any help I know the '05 A4 has far less boot space and rear leg room by comparison to my '99 A6.

Do the Passat and A4 share a floorpan? If so, I can't imagine the Passat would be anywhere close to the same size to the A6. I thought the A6 was in the same class as the BMW5, Merc E and Vaux Omega. The Passat's in the same size class as Mondeo, A4, BMW3 etc.

Apologies if this is useless info - I'm on my third can of Carlsberg Export and I have keyboard diarrhoea. At least you got a bump to the top. :)

ellaguru2u
15-08-2009, 07:52 AM
I thought the A6 & Passat shared the same floorpan and were approx the same dimensions.

I`ve been wrong before though

Dave

bagpipingandy
15-08-2009, 10:20 AM
I Have an A6 just now and used to have a 2003 then a 2006 Passat, i would say they are very similar and not much to separate them on passanger and boot space to the A6. both passats had more boot space than the A4 for sure.

Andy

codlord
15-08-2009, 11:51 AM
Thanks. I would still prefer an a6 but I think it will be the case of buying whichever one I find first that meets my requirements at the right price in the right place!

dobarden
23-08-2009, 08:12 PM
Just got rid of my passat, also have an a4 and a6.

The boot space is pretty close to the a6 but the rear passenger leg room is much more on the a6 than the passat and the a4 is just small by comparison. To me no contest A6 all the way.
Good luck in your search and let us know how you get on.

codlord
23-08-2009, 08:35 PM
I'm still looking. I saw two Passats yesterday but one was a bit tattier than I would have liked (and a bit overpriced considering the condition and the fact it needed tax and a few new tyres) and the other was being sold by a dodgy dealer who had got a 100bhp model but was trying to pass it off as a 130, he had even (badly) replaced the silver "D" in TDI with a red one! And of course the garage had "lost" the plastic engine cover which also gives the game away with the red "DI"!

Luckily I have a list of all the engine codes and their power outputs so I walked away very quickly with the dealer claiming ignorance...