PDA

View Full Version : Audi 100 heater matrix and wheel wobble

FCB
13-08-2009, 04:50 AM
I suspect the heater matrix on my '91 100 is on the way out but I thought I would check other opinions before I start the pig of a job. Sometimes when driving the bottom of the windscreen starts to mist up and when the fan is turned on it gets worse before it clears. The engine does not use any water but I suspect the matrix has a slight weep and is causing a bit of steam to rise up.
I also have a slight intermittent wobble from the front when cruising at motorway speeds but the wobble is felt through the throttle pedal rather than the steering wheel so I dont suspect wheel balance. Could it be a worn inner or outer cv joint?

Dudey Head
13-08-2009, 08:57 AM
Is there any smell with the blower on when it is set to hot? I've had the heater matrix go on a Mk2 Golf and Audi Coupe and when set to hot they misted up the windscreen and released a smell.

FCB
13-08-2009, 01:37 PM
I know what you mean about a smell that normally accompanies the misting but I cant smell anything yet.

micheal balbrig
16-08-2009, 02:56 PM
I suspect the heater matrix on my '91 100 is on the way out but I thought I would check other opinions before I start the pig of a job. Sometimes when driving the bottom of the windscreen starts to mist up and when the fan is turned on it gets worse before it clears. The engine does not use any water but I suspect the matrix has a slight weep and is causing a bit of steam to rise up.
I also have a slight intermittent wobble from the front when cruising at motorway speeds but the wobble is felt through the throttle pedal rather than the steering wheel so I dont suspect wheel balance. Could it be a worn inner or outer cv joint?

Check to see if your model has a pollen filter.If it was clogged up it could cause
misting problems. Some Audi 80s have them fitted under a plastic tray in front of windscreen lhs

chariot2
05-04-2010, 01:54 PM
If it clears quickly maybe you could could live with it for a while yet, if the antifreeze smell is there and never clears. then replace. Once had a matrix explode in a traffic jam.