PDA

View Full Version : Problems with third party lead and VAG.COM

mike ryan
12-08-2009, 06:18 PM
Hi just bought a 3rd party lead for vag .com and it came with a freeware version of the software. I plug the lead in load the software and it asks me to set the com ports out in the options screen. When i go through it and press test it only recognises com3 but even when i change the lead between the 3 usb,s on my laptop it still recognises it com3. Secondly when i check on my device manager it says the usb,s are com 7,8, and 9 so is it not seeing the lead or am i doing some thing wrong?

This leads me to point number 2 as i try to scan for modules and it says it cant find them. Am i being a spanner or is something not right or is it because its the freeware version?

Any help is appreciatted but please keep it simple as i am not an IT expert cheers Mike.

Eshrules
12-08-2009, 07:52 PM
first of all, the software is shareware, not freeware.

secondly, your vendor ought not to be sending copies of it out with the cables, he's breaking the law in doing so.

thirdly, excuse the abruptness, but have you contacted your vendor for advice?

what version of vagcom is it you're trying to run?

mike ryan
12-08-2009, 08:34 PM
Hey dont shoot the messenger it came with the lead. I am fairly sure it is 4.09 will have to check the laptop

orienteer
12-08-2009, 11:01 PM
You need e.g. 409.1S and not 409.1US software. You can download suitable trial software from Ross Tech.

Turn laptop on. Plug in USB cable. Don't worry about car yet. In device manager find USB ports and set your cable up to COM port 1.

Mine initially was saying port 5 but wouldn't work until I sorted the software and set port 1.

regards, Ian

Edit: That's for XP. I have read that you need to run the software in "XP mode" if using Vista. I'm no expert though.

rtjavaid
01-09-2009, 11:13 AM
You need e.g. 409.1S and not 409.1US software. You can download suitable trial software from Ross Tech.

Turn laptop on. Plug in USB cable. Don't worry about car yet. In device manager find USB ports and set your cable up to COM port 1.

Mine initially was saying port 5 but wouldn't work until I sorted the software and set port 1.

regards, Ian

Edit: That's for XP. I have read that you need to run the software in "XP mode" if using Vista. I'm no expert though.

-------------------------------
Hi,

I have got a third part USB interface for VAG-COM. I have set the USB port to COM 1 as suggested. Now I have installed VAG-COM 409.1-S. When I go into the option I can not see USB in the select COM port.

Could you please help

orienteer
01-09-2009, 06:00 PM
Start the software, go into options and select com port 1. there is no USB selection.

Connect to your car and ensure ignition is turned until all dash lights are on. Can be running or not.

regards, Ian