PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Polo Steering

Steven Wass
10-08-2009, 09:27 PM
The steering on my polo pulls to the nearside even though I have had a full wheel alignment carried out, can anybody give me any ideas on what can possibly cause it? I have checked everything, tyres suspension ball joints as well as the full alignment. My local VW dealer has told me it is a safety design so that if you let go of the steering the car moves into the curb and not into on coming traffic :mad:.

I was wondering if you can set a preload on the power steering rack which means it is not unloaded when the car is being driven.

I have tried the steering on all sorts of roads and it is most pronounced on the small country lanes but sometimes still does it on motorways.

:1zhelp:

Crasher
10-08-2009, 09:42 PM
Is this a Polo 9N? They are very prone to pulling to the left, it is virtually incurable. Sometimes it is wheel alignment (even though you have had it checked), sometimes consul bushes and also tyres but even brand new perfectly set up 9N’s can drift to the left quite annoyingly.

Steven Wass
11-08-2009, 08:39 AM
Yes it is. So are we saying you just have to live with it and there is nothing we can do with the settings on the power steering? :(

Crasher
11-08-2009, 10:54 AM
IF it is perfectly set up and IF the pull is slight, it is possible to dial out the pull by ordering a pair of new tyres and ask the supplier if they know how to use the run out bands on carefully selected tyres to correct a minor pull. I have used this trick a number of times but it requires a tyre company who will work with you and who understand what you are trying to do.

Steven Wass
12-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Thanks