PDA

View Full Version : Another 2.5 TDi Transporter T4

scoobystu
16-04-2007, 02:04 PM
Hello

I just blindly bought a TDi 2.5 Transporter 1999. Don't know much about vans but had heard that VW trasnporters are one of the most reliable.

The van has been sitting for a while so the rear brakes were a bit siezed and I thought that may be the reason it was fairly sluggish.

How can I tell if the van I have is the 88 or 102 hp version? The guy who sold it removed the airbox so that he could jump start it and I drove it with the air filter sitting on the passenger seat. Having read about MAF in other posts could this be the reason it was lacking in power.

I would like to increase BHP if it is the 88hp version but unsure if there are any tuners up in Scotland that would be interested.

Cheers

Stu

Rake
18-04-2007, 03:35 PM
Hi Stu,

whilst I am not in scotland I can help you.

Take a look at your log book. if it says its an ACV engine code then you have the 102.

another way to tell is to lift the bonnet. If it has an intercooler mounted directly over the engine - its a 102.

A friend of mine and I pioneered (not sure I can say that) Project Power, which is set up specifically for T4's.

We can get you 155 + bhp for about 550 GBP. Bang for the buck thats good.

Whats involved is changing out your OEM injector nozzles and then having the engine remapped by wayne at www.chipwizards.co.uk (http://www.chipwizards.co.uk) , he has done over 20 of them so far so well worth the trip down south.

I have injector nozzles so thats no bother.....plus, this is tried and tested and works 100%.

Give me a shout if I can help further.

rake_722@hotmail.com

scoobystu
20-04-2007, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the info Rake. :beerchug:

I reckon it must be the 88hp version then because I don't remember seeing an intercooler at the top of the engine. I am picking the van up this evening.

If I went ahead with the mod would I need to buy an intercooler as well or would it just be the injector nozzles and a re-map? Would this affect mpg?

The van itself needs a bit of TLC so once I find out what is needed to MOT it I will know how much I have left to spend.

When you say a trip down south, how far south? Would it be possible for me to change injectors and chip or do you really need a rolling road to set it up properly? I am competent with a soldering iron.

Considering lowering it slightly as well. Have you done this to your van also. Just thinking about lowering it by 40mm - do you reckon I should change shocks as well - I know I should but at this point in time I can't really afford it.

Cheers

Stu

norchip.co.uk
20-04-2007, 10:29 PM
Hi Stu,

88 to 118bhp 195nm to 247nm torque

or

102 to 132bhp 250nm to 302nm torque

£300

Being a 99 it will prob have to be chip out as don't think they are flashable @ that year.

Just seen your soldering comment. I can supply a chip it would be a good bit cheaper, but it aint that easy to do. I would need your ecu numbers. HW and SW. If you do get stuck I can easy fix it for you as long as you don't knacker the board.

I am in Scotland:D

Rake
20-04-2007, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the info Rake. :beerchug:

I reckon it must be the 88hp version then because I don't remember seeing an intercooler at the top of the engine. I am picking the van up this evening.

If I went ahead with the mod would I need to buy an intercooler as well or would it just be the injector nozzles and a re-map? Would this affect mpg?

The van itself needs a bit of TLC so once I find out what is needed to MOT it I will know how much I have left to spend.

When you say a trip down south, how far south? Would it be possible for me to change injectors and chip or do you really need a rolling road to set it up properly? I am competent with a soldering iron.

Considering lowering it slightly as well. Have you done this to your van also. Just thinking about lowering it by 40mm - do you reckon I should change shocks as well - I know I should but at this point in time I can't really afford it.

Cheers

Stu

Hi Stu,

Welcome to the land of T4's mate.

Well if you have a 2.5 you have one of the best T4's whether 88 or 102.

If it is an 88 then to do Project Power you would indeed need the IC and all the pipes and such. This lot could cost 500 from VW or 250 sought out on the web - german ebay does a good line in intercoolers.

In addition to that you'd need injector housings which would add 200 to the equation, and then on top you'd need nozzles and a remap.

The T4 can be run on nozzles alone for a bit but not too long.

What I found is that the remap really cleaned up the fueling rather than altering the power curve. The nozzles and IC would make yours a 130 bhp, the remap only adding 25bhp but cleaning her right up.

As for mpg - it pretty much remains as is. my mate adam says his is now better.....610 miles to a tank. mine is 560 miles to a tank.

Lots of guys on the T4 forum are doing it too. some with 88's some with 102's.

you can always just got for a remap if this sounds like to much. But be sure to get her on an RR. get the print out - makes a good memento !

scoobystu
23-04-2007, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the info guys.

I picked the van up on Friday night. Turns out that his a few other issues...

Oil leaking and running onto O/S drive shaft and throwing it all over the wheel arch. Battery is not holding it's charge for anyhting longer than a few hours.

I bought the van as a fixer upper but didn't anticipate this. The guy I bought it from reckons it will need a clutch and dropped the price accordingly so hopefully the leaky gear box can get fixed at the same time.

It is fairly nippy to drive but I reckon a wee mod to the chip would be nice in order to make the most out of the engine, in terms of efficency of course. It has done 150k so I think a fairly mild mod would be best for it.

Rake
23-04-2007, 11:56 AM
no worries stu - you do what you feel is best mate.

as a note - check this post here -

http://vwt4.forumsplace.com/message4337.html

and then this place is for T4's

http://vwt4.forumsplace.com/message4337.html

all the best mate.

Ron.