PDA

View Full Version : Beetle fuel cap sticking

Gasflowedhead
10-08-2009, 01:12 PM
The fuel cap on my X reg beetle keeps sticking. Obviously you can only use the switch in the drivers door. This seems to be a rather common problem. Anyone out there no whats causing it and how to fix it?

orienteer
12-08-2009, 11:13 PM
With the flap open watch the plunger operate as the switch is pressed. If the travel is limited get some WD40 and give it a good blast as you push the plunger in and out.

If the range of movement doesn't improve then it may be £17 for a cable change. It can't be adjusted.

Try exercising the plunger before messing with the catch on the flap itself also.

Good luck, Ian

Gasflowedhead
15-08-2009, 01:10 PM
Good old wd 40, now works a treat. I thought I would ask the question before trying anything.

Cheers for that Ian

Maybe you can answer my next problem that I'm going to post?:aargh4:

action_pants
15-09-2009, 02:19 PM
I have a different issue with the fuel cap sticking on the new beetle. In my case I'm prety sure the soloniod is not being triggered by the switch. First guess was a fuse but I've taken a look at the fuse card but it does not indicate which fuse is utilised by the release mechanism. Having said that everything else is working ok including the boot release so I doubt this is the problem. Anyone have any experience with the switch or solinoid faults.

orienteer
22-09-2009, 02:25 PM
You can remove some trim and gain enough access to see the white solenoid itself. You can then flick the switch and see if it moves

Regards, Ian

action_pants
23-09-2009, 04:55 PM
You can remove some trim and gain enough access to see the white solenoid itself. You can then flick the switch and see if it moves

Regards, Ian
Thanks Ian, Can confirm that the solinoid is not working but whether a problem with the switch or the solinoid is the issue. Any one had any similar problems with either?