PDA

View Full Version : ESP error - trying to correct but crashes between Login and Basic Settings

coolio
08-08-2009, 05:05 PM
My battery died and I was jump started this morning and managed to find someone with the full VAGCOM. I had various electrical strange things happen (aircon randomly off and on, windows going nuts, etc) but they have settled down. Since the start and since subsequent starts the ESP light has not gone out, it's stuck on. I have the error below;

Fault Found:01826 - Sensor for Steering Angle (G85): Supply Voltage Terminal 3035-00

I had various low voltage ones also but after those were cleared it's been fine.

I found the instructions on how to fix the ESP light and I followed the instructions;

3 ABS brakes
login w/40168
basic settings group 001
Go

However, once I have put in the login and head into Basic Settings, it comes up with an error iirc 'Unable to connect'. I can go from Measure Blocks into Basic Settings fine, but once I have typed in the login it doesn't want to know.

I have driven almost 100miles as I understand the ESP thing is a known error following battery issues hence why I have turned to VAGCOM.

Any ideas people?

coolio
08-08-2009, 05:39 PM
Here is the instructions. It's as I go into Basic Settings it says 'Cannot connect to Controller'

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/steeringangle.html

shark_90
09-08-2009, 12:06 AM
Which car is this on?

coolio
09-08-2009, 06:57 AM
Sorry shouldve included that. Its a 2004 A4 (B6) 3.0 Cabriolet. I am running 409.1 VAGCOM.

I read how the layout of where you enter the code changed and something about a code your specific model but can't see where that code would go as Security Access is greyed out and Login is the only option. I even tried my car code in there and got exactly the same result. I am wondering whether the login code somehow isn't correct for my car as whatever I type in causes it
to fail

shark_90
09-08-2009, 08:04 PM
Your version of VCDS is widly out of date. I would try the most up to date version if I were you.

The instructions you need to reset to basic settings are here:

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/Audi_A4_%288E%29_Brake_Electronics_%28Bosch_5.7%29 #Basic_Setting

coolio
09-08-2009, 08:21 PM
I got someone in to look at it so I can't really demand they purchase the more recent version unfortunately. Also they were using my Gendran cable which I believe will only work with this version of VAG-COM

shark_90
09-08-2009, 09:44 PM
Where are you based?

coolio
14-08-2009, 08:27 PM
A big thumbs upto Gendan, now have an official cable and get past the login but don't get a success messge when I go to field 001. Instead I am not sure about this Steering Alignment of 'Locked' although when I hover it says 'Status:OK'

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/1651/rosstech2.jpg

When I was in the blocks menu the angle shows as -.25 and it has a tolerance of -+0.5.

shark_90
14-08-2009, 09:11 PM
I've done loads of these.. are you sure you followed the steps to the letter?

coolio
14-08-2009, 09:21 PM
I did this

There are certain test conditions that must be met before doing this procedure:

Start the vehicle.
Turn the steering wheel one turn to the right and one turn to the left.
Drive in a short distance straight line on a level surface at a speed not higher than 20 km/h.
If the steering wheel is straight during the test drive then stop the vehicle with the wheels pointed straight
Ensure that the steering wheel is not moved again.
Keep the engine running and do not switch off the ignition
[Select]
[03 - ABS Brakes]
[Login - 11]
Enter 40168
[Do It!][Basic Settings - 04]
Group 001
[Go!]

And got the screenshot above

Measuring blocks show -.25

Am I suppoised to be typing in a code that relates to my car anywhere or is the login code above the only one I need to be aware of, and not the 09XXX one?

coolio
14-08-2009, 11:03 PM
Thanks for all your help so far

I have now given this a go

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/Audi_A4_%288E%29_Brake_Electronics_%28Bosch_5.7%29 #Basic_Setting

However, I am having trouble working out my codes. Looking at the label example Ross-tech uses here http://www.ross-tech.net/vag-com/misc-images/PR-Codes.png where is the code found? Is it the LZ5D code denoting 1LZ in the coding? I have LZPW where they have LZ5D.

More howevers, when I try 09695 it rejects it, but it does accept 09495 followed by coding of the same associated 04395. But again, I go and login 40168 and it stays locked for the steering. :(

shark_90
14-08-2009, 11:42 PM
See here (http://en.openobd.org/audi/a4_8e.htm#03) for how to work out your login code. If you get the login code incorrect, you will get "Connection lost due to dropped session" error and you will have to turn the ignition off, take the key out, and start again.

Example login (4 cyl manual petrol engine) would be 09575
Alter the last two digits depending on your engine and transmission.

Once you have logged in correctly, you need to code the module. Formulate your coding from the same web page.

Likely coding (again manual 4cyl petrol engine) would be 04275. Again alter the last two digits to your engine/transmission.

When you have done that, DO NOT CLOSE THE CONTROLLER. If you do, you'll have to do it again. I found that out the hard way, several times.

Now complete the steering angle sensor recalibration as detailed on the Ross Tech site

Remember, don't close the controller before you do this, it must be done in the same session.

[Fault Codes - 02]
[Done, Go Back]

Turn steering wheel at least 30 ° left and back straight ahead.

[Meas. Blocks - 08]
Group 005 Field 1 (Steering Angle Sensor -G85-)
Specification: 0.0 °
Tolerance (when straight): ±5.0 ° (Note - When the steering wheel is straight the value shown should be -5 - +5 degrees, set it inbetween these values and leave it there for the rest of the procedure)
[Done, Go Back]

[Login - 11]
Enter 40168
[Do It!]

[Basic Settings - 04]
Group 001
[Go!]
[Done, Go Back]

[Fault Codes - 02]
All fault codes should have disappeared.
[Done, Go Back]

[Close Controller, Go Back - 06]

If you've done it correctly, your brake warnings should now go away.

The brake warning parts may not be relevant to you, but that's the procedure you need to follow.

coolio
15-08-2009, 07:59 AM
I went through my PRC codes and have worked out my codes are 09395 and 04495. Didnt work but will try again later when my will to live has returned.

I didnt leave the controller, literally went in before the above and left even after realising it hadn't worked

Thank again

shark_90
15-08-2009, 08:18 PM
Where are you based? I could have a look at it for you.

coolio
16-08-2009, 04:29 PM
I am in London, which I think is a fair distance from youunfortunately :( but I appreciate the offer :o

So I have had anothe go at it trying again the correct code detailed above, and also trying combo of other codes in the hope something would work. After trying each time and checking the faults at te end I get an extra faultcome up (the bottom one)

01826 - Sensor for Steering Angle (G85); Supply Voltage Terminal 30
35-00 - -
00778 - Steering Angle Sensor (G85)
27-00 - Implausible Signal

It clears and doesn't come back, just appears after I try and recode.

Is there ay possibility it could be due to a faulty brake light switch or due to not enough power in the battery?

I just don't understand why it won't recalibrate. Even if that's not the issue, it should be able to recalibrate surely? In measuring blocks it's showing -2.5degrees off.
Also, does itmatter what the workshop code shows?

coolio
16-08-2009, 07:41 PM
The OH had a go and now we have different errors. When I start up the car there is an audible bleep and where the mpg usually displays it now shows a flashing exclamation mark with Brakes underneath. The ABS light is on now as well the ESP button. The errors are

but when cleared they come back with no fault codes. Then will come back again after driving a short distance.

Could low brake fluid be causing this? It was only topped up at a major service in March but it is due a change in Sept

shark_90
16-08-2009, 09:28 PM
I have a spare steering angle sensor in the garage. Not sure if that's your issue or if it's worth changing.

I don't think low voltage would do this and I'm sure low brake fluid wouldn't.

coolio
16-08-2009, 10:10 PM
Hi, thanks for the offer :beerchug: but according to Ross Tech the new errors are definately related to a need to recalibrate. This hasturned into a major quest of mine and when I finally crack it I wll be so chuffed. Until then, I want to murder someone :approve:

So it is now swinging between

66-10 - Not Matched - Intermittent
01044 - Control Module Incorrectly Coded
35-00 - -

Then I logn, code, login, etc and sometimes get 'No faults found' and sometimes

27-00 - Implausible Signal

But the lights stil alwys remain. It's like xmas on my dash :aargh4:

shark_90
17-08-2009, 02:57 PM
With respect, you must be doing something incorrectly.

How have you worked your login and controller coding out?

coolio
18-08-2009, 07:08 AM
Don't worry about offending. :D

using the link
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/Audi_A4_%288E%29_Brake_Electronics_%28Bosch_5.7%29

below I reckoned I was 09395 because

09 for Audi A4
3 because where on this jpeg there is 1LG, I have 1LT. I have also checked this on a PRC code checker and it relates to my brakes
9 because my car is the 3.0 V6 engine
and 5 because it's manual

Coding is 04495 for the reasons above.

While I have tried some other versions I may make sure I cover all combos just to see if for whatever reason it works.

coolio
20-08-2009, 08:50 PM
I have lost the will to live. I have checked the battery and its got good charge, etc. So off to the dealers it is. Thing is, I have warranty to cover for parts but not for 'adjustments'

coolio
29-08-2009, 07:00 AM
So its now sorted. Audi also couldn't get it to recalibrate it so the steering angle sensor was replaced for £350

kite
29-08-2009, 12:45 PM
Ouch............

coolio
29-08-2009, 01:44 PM
Luckily I have 3rd party warranty

shark_90
29-08-2009, 11:11 PM
Got two spare ones in the garage ;) At least you got it sorted.

coolio
31-08-2009, 09:04 AM
Thanks for all your help Shark. At least it was free and the car got a wash too haha