PDA

View Full Version : Car won't start - battery?

coolio
07-08-2009, 11:57 PM
3.0 Cab was left for a week, pretty sure nothing was left on it in but who knows. Throw some things in it fine, lockup car then head back in the house for a while. Then head back down 15mins later and the car won't start. Slowly over repeated efforts less and less electrics work. Radio won't turn on, etc. Initially all the error lights came on in the car and when the key was half turned I could hear dulled clicking. With more attempts, specifically to try and get the window up at this point, the only thing that comes on in the car is the ESP warning light when the key is half turned.

There was goo on the batery connections but I totally cleaned those. Not even the internal lights will come on. I have had flat batteries before but does this one sound beyond help?

If so, what price/type of battery should I be expecting. I want to be prepared as I am calling out the breakdown peeps in the morning to see if the batery does have some life left in it.

The alternator was done a few months ago so doubt it's that

dixy1982
08-08-2009, 08:51 AM
does sound like battery mate might be able to charge it then check to see if theres any life in it and see if alternator is charging it im sure the breakdown people will check this for you and they may have a battery for you also if you get all the numbers of the top of the battery ampage etc then you could get a price from your local dealer

coolio
08-08-2009, 12:16 PM
Cheers, got a jump start from the breakdown peeps and it's turning over perfectly now. The only problem is the ESP light is permanantly on. The brake lights are working ok, but this light being on is a pain, mainly because my driving is a lot safer with it ;)

I had read the ESP could be an issue but it would go away after a short distance. I mustve gone about 80miles to recharge the battery and it's still stuck on.

The keys needed re0synching but that was easy (in drivers door turn key left and hold for 6 secs). Start car, turn off car :biglaugh:

coolio
08-08-2009, 02:29 PM
I have a VAGCOM error for the engine saying low voltage but to be expected after battery died.

For the ABS/ESP though I have

Address 03: ABS Brakes
Controller: 8E0 614 517
Component: ABS/ESP front 4529
Coding: 04495
Shop #: WSC 00672
1 Fault Found:
01826 - Sensor for Steering Angle (G85): Supply Voltage Terminal 30
35-00

I took the car off steering lock while the battery was dead. Possible reason for the error?

blackpool1974
08-08-2009, 04:01 PM
Its not saying there is anything wrong with the angle so try and reset the error and see if it comes back again

coolio
08-08-2009, 04:54 PM
Its not saying there is anything wrong with the angle so try and reset the error and see if it comes back again

Unfortunately, I have done near on 100miles and it's still stuck on.

I did find details on how to fix it via vagcom by login 40168 then basic settings 001 and GO, but it crashes as I go into Basic Settings saying 'Unable to Connect'

coolio
09-08-2009, 06:53 PM
I have cleared the error and it comes back on. VAGCOM login isnt working for me to reset the calibration of the ESP.

So I unhooked the battery again to see if it goes into relearn mode at start up (like it should've originally) and now of course the roof won't work. It's stuck down :aargh4:

Getting really fed up with the car right now :(

Dave Gee
10-08-2009, 10:50 PM
Coolio
Sounds to me like your battery is defunct.
I had exactly the same symptoms having parked the car when on holiday with no indications of any previous faults. Then when I came out of restaurant at 6.00pm the car would not start, completely dead... no lights... nothing!
Called AA, he tested and confirmed battery was 'open circuit internally' (disconnected plates I guess but how can this happen so suddenly?).
Luckily he wizzed me round to a nearby Halfords before they closed and picked up a new battery and we were away again, (just before the premises I was parked in was about to be locked up for the night with my car in it.
This was quite worrying at the time as I had been up in the mountains miles from humanity the day before, and with no phone at that time, it could have been verry inconvenient to say the least.
If your battery shows signs of dying ...change it as it is not worth the inconvenience of a complete failure somewhere away from base.
Dave