PDA

View Full Version : Multitronic - Yes or No

davegilsenan
07-08-2009, 10:44 AM
Hello,
I've spotted a nice 06 A4 Tdi but it has multitronic. There a service history for the multitronic but lots of problems reported on Audi sites.....
Any advice?

Thanks.

Rusk
07-08-2009, 11:25 AM
I say YES YES YES!!! I have had mine since September '08 (not that long I know) and so far haven't had any issues with it. This is my first none manual car and I used to think autos were for lazy people who don't like driving but now my thoughts are completely different.

It is an amazing box to drive with. When you are just driving around normally in no real rush then it is the smoothest thing out there. There is no 'gear change' and the revs normally stay below 2000 so things stay nice and quiet and so so smooth. If you put your foot right to the floor to overtake or something it will jump to just over 4000 revs and stay there no matter how long you accelerate which is rather strange to get used to not hearing the engine rev through gears. Did I mention how smooth it is? :D

When you want to get sporty and have some fun you can either stick it in semi-manual with the + and - rally style tiptronic(?) mode or you can just use Sport. Sport turns it into more of a normal revving and gear changing setting but still it feels seamless as it changes up and down the 'gears' (actually they are preset ratios not really gears).

All in all it is a great gear box. It is lovely and smooth when you just want to cruise around in comfort and still smooth but very responsive when you want to get a shift on. If future autos are as good as this one I think my manual days might be over :beerchug:
Hope my waffling on helps :biglaugh:

Crasher
07-08-2009, 01:18 PM
Multitronic?… Multichronic! I say turn and run as fast as you can, they are a complete joke when they go wrong. I had to do an ECU on a 2005 with 35K miles on Monday, a £1200 job! Personally I would not have one if it was given to me!

Rusk
07-08-2009, 01:51 PM
Multitronic?… Multichronic! I say turn and run as fast as you can, they are a complete joke when they go wrong. I had to do an ECU on a 2005 with 35K miles on Monday, a £1200 job! Personally I would not have one if it was given to me!

....That's what a warranty/extended warranty is for...

Like most things IF it goes wrong then it aint cheap and maybe not easy to fix but it is an IF.

With a car like this when my warranty runs out I will for sure be getting either an Audi extended Warranty or a 3rd party one.

Crasher
07-08-2009, 03:42 PM
With the Multichronic it is not if but when and most warranties will not cover these boxes when they fail, I have been though it time and time again with customers bringing in their cars, I diagnose the box as faulty and the warranty company will not cover it. I have never in dozens of cases ever had a warranty company pay out for one of these boxes. The last one instructed me to remove the box, strip it down to its component parts, lay them out on the bench and then an inspector would come out and pass judgement. I asked what the situation would be if he reused and they said, “customers own expense to re-assemble the box”! If you take out an extended warranty, make sure ANY aspect of the box failing is covered including the hydraulic fluid.

dod1e
07-08-2009, 03:52 PM
From what I've read and heard, even if the risk of these boxes failing was minute, which I dont think it is, I wouldnt touch one with a barge pole as complete gearbox replacement at a cost of around £4k seems to be pretty common, and any risk of that is to much for me.

At the end of the day it comes down to you determining for yourself what the risks are and if you are willing to take them. These boxes have cost a lot of people a lot of money.

MeAudi
07-08-2009, 08:33 PM
Hi there,

I have the multitronic on the 2.0T and find the gearbox excellent as an automatic. Given a free choice, I would have gone for a manual but, for various reasons, I had to go for an auto. That meant tiptronic, DSG or Multitronic. The tip is only available on quattro which was a non-starter and the DSG is only in the new stuff unless you look elsewhere in the VAG group, so again this was a non-starter.
I was concerned over reliability. The B7 should have the 7 plate clutch which is much stronger. The box is common in the US and they run some serious power through them (over 300bhp). So, I think the box is generally robust (i.e. you won't break it) but when it does fail it can be expensive. You could say the same about the tdi engine with all the problems with pumps etc.

If you buy through the Audi dealers you should get a warranty which is sometimes upgraded to 2 years. I may look to extend mine when it expires depending on how much they want.

Good luck choosing!

audi bwoy
11-08-2009, 11:05 AM
i'm in the same boat, cant make my mind up, but i think after reading this, might go for the manual especially if i go for the 2.0 tdi as i find only big engines work better with a auto.

Crasher
11-08-2009, 01:40 PM
The Multichronic works well enough in small engined cars, its just that it is unreliable.

steinom
18-08-2009, 08:48 PM
Has 2008 A4 Avant 2.0MLT with Multichronic as works perfect, beutiful to drive. Think many of them as have got problem get if because they don't let gear box get oil pressure before they use it (10-20 sec).

SINGHY
20-08-2009, 05:53 PM
YES - I've had mine since April last year and have had no problems whatsover, it's smooth, quiet and very responsive, of course it also depends on how you drive it, if I was to rag it all the time then I'm sure it would suffer but as it is, I get over 48mpg on the motorway and 40 mpg around town. Prior to this I always had manual boxes but after 26 years of changing gears I felt I deserved a rest and I haven't looked back since, will be getting an A5 auto next. :Blush:

Enjoy

steinom
21-08-2009, 10:12 AM
Crasher wrote:
I have never in dozens of cases ever had a warranty company pay out for one of these boxes.
Then you are talking about old car without any cind of guaranty.
Audi in Norway can not practise like this and still continiue to sell so many Audi's, it's not possiblie.
To save your multitronic/automatic gear box, do not push it from park to drive if it feals hard to do it! If it's hard you have not rised oil pressure. Let it get time to rise oil pressure before use. It will save you for problems in future.

Audi A4 2,0 MLT AVA 2008 S-Line multitronic, bi-xenon, aircondition, Auto Dimming mirror w/compas, Light & Rain sensor pack, Cruise & Retro parking sensors, Audi concert +++
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/applied/buttons/quote.gif (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=401830)

Crasher
21-08-2009, 01:00 PM
No we are talking about aftermarket warranties purchased when the main dealer warranty has expired.

steinom
21-08-2009, 05:31 PM
No we are talking about aftermarket warranties purchased when the main dealer warranty has expired.

Thanks for clarefying. :beerchug:

sliney
22-08-2009, 05:35 PM
NO---- keep away from any multi-tonic unless it has a warranty, as a previuos post said " its not if it will break but when" he is correct. Its a £3k job from an independent dealer... Ive just sold my s-line as the warranty had run out.
Keep away, if you want an auto ... try bmw or merc

stand
15-10-2009, 08:42 PM
[QUOTE=davegilsenan;395937]Hello,
I've spotted a nice 06 A4 Tdi but it has multitronic. There a service history for the multitronic but lots of problems reported on Audi sites.....
Any advice?

Thanks.

I Have a 2005 A4 SE MULTITRONIC, FANTASTIC BOX AND HAD NO PROBLEMS AT ALL, BUT 1 YEAR WARRANTY RUNS OUT NEXT MONTH AND MOST LIKELY WILL GET A EXTENDED WARRANTY £699 INC BREAKDOWN DUE TO STORIES ON NET AND RELIABILITY OF AUDI WHICH HAS NOT BEEN FIRST CLASS WITH MEGA EXPENSIVE COSTS WITHOUT WARRANTY.

steinom
20-10-2009, 06:30 PM
My A4 MLT AVA 2.0 1998 is like a dream to drive and no problem at all so far. You only see rpm change when change gear. Have not hear about any problem with multitronic beside what read at this forum. Had a 1998 manuel A4 before as was greate, but this is realy perfect.
Many people don't let car with automatic gear get some sec to rise oil pressure before use and that possible the cause of many problem. Gear need oil pressure to operate smooth. (some have written that mulitronic is working perfect for car with smaal engine, not for 3.0/220 hp o.l.) B.R.

fourringsrus
23-10-2009, 09:48 PM
run for the hills or go tiptronic with quattro if you must go auto
or just read any threads related to multi and decide whether you are well prepared for what seems to be the inevitable pay out
good luck
stuart

Martin F
24-10-2009, 12:38 PM

Of which most are not worth the paper they are written on. I always smile when a dealer starts to try extolling the virtues of some second hand car warranty they offer.

fatblokescanfly
27-10-2009, 11:35 AM
Lets get some facts right here, lets calm the forum warriors with sweeping judgements and zero experience.

First of all who has actually had personal experience of the the B7 multitronic? This is the B7 forum afterall!

This is the most important thing you will read about the CVT Multitronic!
There was problems with the mulitronic prior to 2006 and the horror stories you read are from the B6. Audi addressed the problems and the 8 geared model is the revised version!

As with any autobox (or cambelt change to that point) it is advised to do it a little early. In the case of the multitronic change the ATF every 30k/miles.

And there is a guy on audizine running 450bhp on his b7 2.0tfsi CVT.

If you search CVT or Multitronic you will find the problems prior to 2006, which generally means its a B6!

And you can have flappy paddle tiptronic on the CVT A4.

fourringsrus
27-10-2009, 07:12 PM
interesting,.. fatbloke... and worth knowing if i go for b7 in the spring
cheers
stuart

steinom
28-10-2009, 05:49 PM
Thanks for your clarefying of this as I start feels it like a problem, even my A4 MLT AVA 2.0 Multitronic 2008 is like a dream to drive and I have not had any problem at all.
As I always say to my colleague, do not push any automatic gear handle to gear if it is hard to push, take the time it takes to got oil pressure before use. Hard to push means normally that you have not got normal oil pressure.
Then it is veary small chanse for problem.
(Seen many start car with automatic gear and push it to drive in 2 sec, you can hear (cabom) it's not good for any automatic gear box).

grr
29-10-2009, 07:05 AM
Lets get some facts right here, lets calm the forum warriors with sweeping judgements and zero experience.

First of all who has actually had personal experience of the the B7 multitronic? This is the B7 forum afterall!

This is the most important thing you will read about the CVT Multitronic!
There was problems with the mulitronic prior to 2006 and the horror stories you read are from the B6. Audi addressed the problems and the 8 geared model is the revised version!

As with any autobox (or cambelt change to that point) it is advised to do it a little early. In the case of the multitronic change the ATF every 30k/miles.

And there is a guy on audizine running 450bhp on his b7 2.0tfsi CVT.

If you search CVT or Multitronic you will find the problems prior to 2006, which generally means its a B6!

And you can have flappy paddle tiptronic on the CVT A4.

When I had my B7 serviced at my local VAG dealership yesterday, the guy handling all Audi service and repair requests didn't have much good to say about the MLT. I have the 6 speed tiptronic in mine, and I'm happy with it even though it's impossible to drive it as smooth as my 728ia, but that's more of a engine "problem" than gear box. It's because of the turbo boost coming too quickly around 1800 revs. Hopefully you're right as far as the B7 goes though...

Also, flappy paddle tiptronic? Anyone retrofitted this?

Marc1
29-10-2009, 03:18 PM
Also, flappy paddle tiptronic? Anyone retrofitted this?

Ooo, good question, hope someone can answer that, I'd be very intereted to know too.

Are there any horror stories with the tip box as far as people know?

David Ayton
30-10-2009, 05:09 PM
....That's what a warranty/extended warranty is for...

Like most things IF it goes wrong then it aint cheap and maybe not easy to fix but it is an IF.

With a car like this when my warranty runs out I will for sure be getting either an Audi extended Warranty or a 3rd party one.

"Seems to me if a quality product needs an exteneded warranty then it ain't a quality product":confused:

fatblokescanfly
02-11-2009, 02:10 AM
"Seems to me if a quality product needs an exteneded warranty then it ain't a quality product":confused:

Your not listening fella!

The problems are prior to 2006 so mostly B6, this is a B7 forum! So your fine with a B7 2006>

grr
02-11-2009, 09:33 AM
Ooo, good question, hope someone can answer that, I'd be very intereted to know too.

Are there any horror stories with the tip box as far as people know?
According to my dealer there's been almost no problems with the tiptronic box. Only thing is that it's very expensive to change oil on it. Twice the price on my BMW 728ia, which also has "lifetime oil".

fatblokescanfly
02-11-2009, 01:35 PM
Thats right GRR, if I recall correctly it is somewhere in the region of £160.
Well worth doing preventitive maintenance, and the ATF change isn't straight forward as I think you have to get the oil to a particular temp before you change.

grr
02-11-2009, 01:38 PM
Thats right GRR, if I recall correctly it is somewhere in the region of £160.
Well worth doing preventitive maintenance, and the ATF change isn't straight forward as I think you have to get the oil to a particular temp before you change.
That's not even for the oil. The quote I got from my dealer (here in Norway) was 7500 NOK, which is about £830.

BMW charged me about £400 on the 728ia, where over £200 were the oil.

fatblokescanfly
02-11-2009, 02:44 PM
On audizine the guys have been quoted between $280 - $800

Also noticed that this guy did his own:

I just changed my manual tranny fluid. If you have the 2.0t its easy as pie. I was originally totally discouraged because the dealer told me it was an "intense" job and special tools were needed to fill the fluid back up. Well here is the solution:

1. Find the fill bolt - its located on the driver side right in front of the CV joint coming off the tranny. Its accessable from both the bottom of the car as well as from the engine compartment. (i did it from the engine compartment)
2. Once that is crack slighly its time to take care of the drain plug.
3.The drain plug is located located directly center on the bottom of the tranny (10mm hex bolt) Make sure its all drained.
4. once drained close up the drain plug and finish taking out the fill.
5. I used a funnel i made myself - funnel from autozone and 3/4" rubber tubing (clear so you can see the fluid moving) hose clamped them together and now you have a funnel with plenty of reach.
6. Stick the end of the funnel into the tranny fill and begin added your $30 a quart Audi tranny fluid!! Once it takes all 3.5 you are all set, close it up and give it a test.

I could not be happier with the car - even with only 25K on the odo it was an awesome improvement. I can feel the car shifts easier now and its not gummy, it feel way more fluid from gear to gear.

Also found this note, 35-50 does sound a little vague IMO

Note: fluid level should be check with engine running in neutral and fluid temperature between 35 - 50'C

toff
02-11-2009, 10:05 PM
Purely from all the horror stories being told by mechanics who deal with the problems day-in-day-out (such as Crasher) - I would avoid MultiTronic like the plague.

Al.

fatblokescanfly
02-11-2009, 10:23 PM
Purely from all the horror stories being told by mechanics who deal with the problems day-in-day-out (such as Crasher) - I would avoid MultiTronic like the plague.

Al.

As mentioned several times before, and this is no doubt why nobody else has mentioned it:

The problems are prior to 2006 so mostly B6, this is a B7 forum! So your fine with a B7 2006>

toff
02-11-2009, 11:06 PM
As mentioned several times before, and this is no doubt why nobody else has mentioned it:

Oops, sorry I didn't realise.

So Audi completely ironed-out the problem? Does anybody know what particular modifications they mad to fix it?

Al.

quattrapig
05-11-2009, 10:29 PM
Well mulititronic seems to give most trouble with the large disel unit however tiptronic(quattro)spreads the load and those boxes have a good reputation.