PDA

View Full Version : Cam belt/water pump fault

buyasaab
15-04-2007, 08:19 PM
i had my cam belt replaced at 55000 miles (4 years) as recommended by the dealer. 2months and 1000 miles later I was going on holiday with the car fully laden with baggage and family when smoke appears from the bonnet and we had to stop on the hard shoulder of the M20 with all the water pouring out. We were towed back home by recovery who said that this is a known fault with Passats and golfs after cam belt replacement. Also they said that water pump should have been replaced at the same time. I have now been told by the dealer that the bill will be no more than £3000! The dealer is taking no responsibility for the damage and this misfortune appears to be an act of God! :aargh4: :zx11: I am never having a passat or even a VW again.

clint
16-04-2007, 11:02 PM
this isnt just a problem common to passats or vws in general,a lot more cars suffer the same problems

michaelahill
20-04-2007, 02:12 PM
I had a similar problem with my audi A4 but the waterpump we belive gave way causing damage to the cambelt. I know how it feels to be stuck on the side of the motorway. What was the final outcome?
michaelahill

denz
21-04-2007, 12:18 AM
changing cambelts in my opinion can put extra strain on a slightly on the way out waterpump ,as the new belt is slighty tighter than the streched one being taken off therefore quickening the deteriation of the waterpump but knowing that it is on its way out is damn near impossible its like asking to check a cambelts condition unless its damaged or really worn you just cant tell when it will fail . as the old saying goes a chain is only as strong as its weakest link. hope this helps