PDA

View Full Version : 1996 Polo - fuel filter direction

dukla2000
15-04-2007, 06:01 PM
OK, so I replaced the fuel filter and as per Haynes manual orientated the arrow on the new one the same direction as the arrow on the old one.

On tidying up I picked up the end of the old filter and some nasty looking fuel ran out the bottom end. Nor surprises - proof it had done its job. Except looking at the arrow this dirty fuel was exiting what, according to the arrow, should have been the 'clean' side of the filter.

So I am now neurotic that the old filter (and the new one) was in the wrong direction. It was with the arrow aiming at the left/passenger side of the car - can someone please check theirs and let me know? TIA

(I did check if there is a one-way valve in the filter which would help clarify - there is not. Also tried to look at the pipe routing but they both just vanish behind the filter and I could not trace without removing the filter again.)

tinman
11-10-2008, 07:04 PM
hi i have the same problem did you find which direction the filter should be?
rgds:1zhelp:

dukla2000
13-10-2008, 09:10 AM
Well it was some time ago, and although I have replaced the filter again since my memory is poor about the explicit direction of the arrow.

What I do know:
1) My filter was in the correct direction
2) When replacing it again (about 6 months ago) I did double check by blowing/sucking on the pipes I could reach and switching on the ignition briefly to see which way the pump was pushing.

On the assumption I was accurate in my first post, then I presume the correct direction is the arrow aiming at the left/passenger side of the car. Will try check under the car later!

tinman
13-10-2008, 10:31 PM
thanks :You_Rock_that would be great i think i put the filter in with arrow pointin to the passenger side but im not sure....will check i dnt really want to change it again as i got coverd in fuel!:firedevil hence the quick change....