PDA

View Full Version : Polo 1400 fsi tickover

colin30102
06-08-2009, 05:47 PM
I have a '03 1400 FSI, 60000miles which has developed an annoying fault.
Engine tickover appears to be one of 2 modes, the first is normal 700 revs tickover no problem the second is it stalls nearly everytime and if it doesnot stall it ticks over at 500revs. There is no warning as to which tickover you are going to get, however when it starts stalling it will continue to do for a period of 5 to 10 mins then it can switch back to normal and tickover no problem. The car can then drive fro a number of days with no problem what so ever.
I have a copy of vagcom and have carried out regular scans which identify an EGR fault which puts the engine management light on. The car is otherwise performing perfectly and delivering 50mpg.
What I want to do is clean both the EGR valve and Throttle body both of which are gummed up a little however I am wary that it might upset the current setting within the ECU. How do I use the Vagcom Adaptation function to effectively reset the ECU after I have cleaned each item?

colin30102
08-08-2009, 08:04 PM
After trawling the various forums and Ross Tech/Ilexa sites I went ahead and cleaned the throttle body with carb cleaner, tooth and paint brush. Cleaned up a treat. Re-aligned the throttle body in VAGcom as per Ross Tech instructions and away to go. Quite simple in the end!
Have driven 20 miles so far and tickover is solid as a rock, back to work on monday with 30 miles each way so if it going to play up should find out soon. Fingers crossed.