PDA

View Full Version : Question A4 Quattro Tyres

Quattro73
06-08-2009, 01:56 PM
I've searched the posts on the forum hoping to find a definitive answer on tyres for the A4 2.0T FS1 Quattro, but all I have found is one person airing their dislike of the Dunlop SP01 on account of poor wear performance. I must say that I have not found this a problem with my style of driving. Currently I have a mix of Michelin Primacy on the front and Dunlop SP01 on the rear and both front and back have exceeded 25,000 miles with remarkably similar wear rates. All 4 now are getting down to the limit, so I need to purchase a full set.

The tyre spec for the car is 215 55 R16 93Y. Tyres meeting this spec are few and far between - so far I have found the following:

Michelin Primacy
Dunlop SP01
Dunlop Sport Maxx
Bridgestone ER300 BZ
Firestone TZ200

There are many more makes available for W speed rated tyres.

So to the questions:

1. If I opt for W rated tyres, is there likely to be an issue with my insurance?

2. Has anyone with experience of any of the above 5 tyres any specific comments / advice to give?

s4-matt
06-08-2009, 02:36 PM
I've always preferred the Michelins, for me they give a good balance between grip and wear. I've had Michelin Primacy, Sport and Exalto's on various A4 and A3's (quattro and FWD) and they have all gone 30K miles. I have (once and never again) ventured down the budget W rated route and in my exsperiance they lasted half the miles and grip (especially in the wet) if seriously compromised.

Overall in depends on budget but for me the Michelins are the better long term value for money.

toff
06-08-2009, 03:47 PM
Hi,

I can highly reccomend Continental Conti Sport Contact III's

Apart from being a brilliant all-rounder, they have a nice protective lip to save your alloys from the kerb.

I always got to Kwik Fit becuase their "4 for 3" offer makes their prices almost unbeatable.

Don't forget that you're supposed to use a reinforced sidewall tyre on cars with Quattro.

Hope that helps
Al.

Quattro73
06-08-2009, 09:08 PM
Hi S4-matt and toff,

Thanks for the replies. I must admit I would like the Michelins, but at around £140 apiece they are a little over my current budget, whereas Kwik Fit are doing the Dunlop SP01 at £108.75 apiece at the moment. Can't say my experience of Kwik Fit has been good in the past, but that was admittedly some years ago, so they might have got their act together now.

I'll have a look at the Continentals to see what price I can get them for. Thanks for the recommendation. The Y rated tyre does have a thicker side wall, so I guess sticking to that rating is the way to go.

Must say I've never kerbed the alloys on this car, but I have some minor cosmetic damage to make good (when the darn weather allows) as I hit a pile of debris from a load a truck had shed on the M6 one night. This also took out a rear tyre (Dunlop SP01) - I was surprised to find that I could get my hand through the hole in the side wall, but the car stayed totally stable until I could get to a safe spot to swap to the spare.

toff
07-08-2009, 12:12 AM
Yup, Kwik Fit are still abunch of monkeys in my humble opinion.. mainly becuase they pay their mechanics peanuts?

Anyhow, go into the workshop and offer them a tenner bonus if your wheels come out unscathed. They always say "we use the plastic coated socket sets" but that dosen't stop them thumping the surrounding area where the bolt goes (depending on your design of alloy obviously).

Toff.

Marco34
07-08-2009, 09:38 AM
Yup, Kwik Fit are still abunch of monkeys in my humble opinion.. mainly becuase they pay their mechanics peanuts?

Anyhow, go into the workshop and offer them a tenner bonus if your wheels come out unscathed. They always say "we use the plastic coated socket sets" but that dosen't stop them thumping the surrounding area where the bolt goes (depending on your design of alloy obviously).

Toff.

That really P%^%$ me off! The number of times I've had unmarked alloys until I go to these tyre places. Let's face it, non hardley ever take pride in their job. I complained to a manager about some guy who managed to score the alloy in no less than 6 places! He said they must have been there already... doubtfull, just bought refurbed online. Never owned up to it so did my best to ensure everyone I knew who went there not to go.

Anyway to tyres. I've had all the above bar Contis. I did like the Michelins, Primacy and Sport. Sport were a little noisy. Dunlop, not bothering again. Great wear, average grip. I know run Pirelli P zero Rosso on both cars and they have worn ok but wet and dry grip is amazing. Less rummble than the Michelins. Problem with Michelins is their stupid prices!!! :aargh4: