PDA

View Full Version : Bugs

Frank.A
15-04-2007, 03:05 PM
Hi All,
My 52 reg Passat saloon has accumulated a lot of bugs in the area between the high level brake light and the rear screen.How can I remove the light to clean the bigs out?Haynes is not very explicit as usual,and I don't want to break anything.
Thanks,
Frank

lordcakes
16-04-2007, 12:51 PM
Hey Frank,

I believe that you get to the fixings for the brake light from underneath it (in the boot.).

Open your boot and look up under the shelf and you will see a sizeable hole and the underside of the brake light.

If you cannot undo the light in its entirety, I think that you will have to fold the seats down and slide the parcel shelf forwards.

Frank.A
16-04-2007, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I have tried moving the spring clips on the fitting but can't see how the light is removed.I have also tried moving the parcel shelf forward,but it only moves about 6mm.Does it need a good pull or are there any fastenings apart from spring clips.

Cheers,
Frank

lordcakes
16-04-2007, 06:06 PM
Frank,

Don't try and force it (especially the parcel shelf) and most of it is only plastic. The brake light has removable bulbs so should come out easy enough through the hole that you can get to.

I would go and have a good old look myself but my Passat has just been admitted to the garage with a broken radiator:zx11:

tyler
17-04-2007, 09:06 AM
cleaned mine a few weeks ago, open the boot and look up at the underside of the brake light, its a bit fiddly but if you can get your fingers in, the light unit will slide away from you towards the front of the car and then you can remove it. Replacing it was a bit of an **** because the spring clips are so tight but with a bit of patience, pretty straight forward. No need to remove parcel shelf.

Frank.A
17-04-2007, 05:37 PM
Hi Tyler,

Thanks for the reply.
Is your brake light the bulbed variety or the LED type?Mine has the LED array which I can remove,but still can't remove the rest of it to gain access for cleaning even after sliding the spring clip outwards.

Cheers,
Frank

tyler
20-04-2007, 07:44 PM
sorry not replied sooner Frank, been away for a few days. Mine seems to just be a sealed unit. just been out to have a look, unplug the wires, use a screwdriver to gently prize away the two fixings from the underside of the parcel shelf and then the unit will be moved forwards towards the front of the car. Hope that helps