PDA

View Full Version : Golf Mk4 factory towbars

ljg207
05-08-2009, 07:03 PM
I removed a VW towbar (was a retrofit but is a nice genuine VW removable one) from my old 1999 mk4 golf and fitted it to my 2001 mk4 estate. beautiful fit & looks great, however... the wiring doesn't exactly work!

after much messing about I have working indicators & sidelights, does anyone have any information on the wiring looms used by the factory towbars? as I cannot get my head round it.

any replies much appreciated!

martin1810
05-08-2009, 08:24 PM
The trailer connector 7 pin plug, pins are always the same so even if the colour of the wires changes you can identify which is which from the pin position. Search on here for a diagram of the connector pins. Are you using a relay or connecting direct to the car loom.

kenney
05-08-2009, 08:55 PM
http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/towbar_electrics.shtml use the 12n diagram

ljg207
06-08-2009, 10:46 AM
The wiring loom plugs into the rear light clusters & then the existing car plug goes into the loom. The brakes & sidelights appear to be simply in parallel with the car lights, the indicators go through a relay, haven't worked out how the foglight is wired yet.

Despite working out the differences in the plugs for the rear light clusters from a 99 to a 51 golf (there are differences) I have trailer indicators & sidelights, when I apply the brakes the sidelights go out.

martin1810
06-08-2009, 12:34 PM
These are the wires for a 2001 golf estate...I think
Red/black...right brake
Red/black...left brake
Grey/red...right tail
Grey/white...left tail
Black/blue...reverse
Grey/white...fog
Black/white...left indicator
Black/green...right indicator
Don't forget the trailer socket needs a good earth.
Hope this helps.