PDA

View Full Version : Tyre Pressure Monitor

alexcf
04-08-2009, 08:24 PM
Hi guys (and gals!),

My tyre pressure monitor went off today, so went down to the petrol station and pumped the tyres up... Got back in the car and the thing is still going off :(... Drove around a bit, maybe about 10-15 minutes and it still was showing up.

Has anyone else got this feature and had this problem? Will it go away by itself or would it be worth booking into the garage?

My only concern is that from what I understand it gauges the pressure from the ABS!

Thanks in advance :)

Alex.

bez101
04-08-2009, 08:38 PM
Hi guys (and gals!),

My tyre pressure monitor went off today, so went down to the petrol station and pumped the tyres up... Got back in the car and the thing is still going off :(... Drove around a bit, maybe about 10-15 minutes and it still was showing up.

Has anyone else got this feature and had this problem? Will it go away by itself or would it be worth booking into the garage?

My only concern is that from what I understand it gauges the pressure from the ABS!

Thanks in advance :)

Alex.
it gauges the pressure from a thing on the inside of the wheel get a vcds scan done see if u have fault codes i had it once on a 6 was the lil sender in the wheel

Foringo
04-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Hi Alex...I have this system and has gone off twice, detecting a puncture on rear nearside tyre on both occasions. Appears to work well as I hadn't noticed any problem until the alarm went off....so quite a good feature. I understand that these monitors are going to be a legal requirement on all new cars. Just have to make sure that you initialize it as per manual. I assume that it works on ABS by sensing different rolling radius in relation to other wheels.

alexcf
04-08-2009, 08:45 PM
Hmmm OK, have to take it into the dealers ;)

alexcf
04-08-2009, 08:46 PM
Ohhh, I'll re-initalise it in the morning! :)

Thanks very much. :)

Bloater
04-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Mine went off indicating a problem at the rear, after getting the front tyres replaced.

Checked all the pressures then did the "store tyre pressures" in the car menu screens, and all fine ever since.

I was impressed when it went off, indicating a tyre pressure warning, then a couple of minutes later the actual wheel in question.

Gary

alexcf
04-08-2009, 10:15 PM
Fab, thanks for the replies guys! Thought the stupid thing was broken. Didn't have my manual handy, and the stupid disk doesn't seem to read anymore for the MMI one. :(

:)
aalex.

alexcf
10-08-2009, 10:00 AM
So it went off again this morning... Looks like I've got a slow puncture *sob*... What're people putting on their 3.0tdis?

Annndddd, it's done about 10k miles, reckon I need to look at swapping all 4? :/

Jop
10-08-2009, 03:51 PM
Ive got TPMS... It's a bit boring... I was hoping for a graphical display within the MMI that would give me tyre pressure readings.

ScottyUK
10-08-2009, 04:02 PM
You need to move to America. Over there they have sensors in the valve stems which transmit the pressure to the car. However the sensor gets replaced with the value when you have a puncture and it's around £50 a go !

alexcf
13-08-2009, 10:26 AM
Just an update for you... Ended up there was a nail sneakily tucked away in the wheel which I couldn't see, was front nearside. :(

Took it to ATS who Arval have some kind of deal with, the buggers wanted to swap ALL *4* tyres with Michelin instead of the Bridgestone Poteza I had on there originally... Luckily as I've not done loads of miles the ATS guy managed to negotiate with Arval for a replacement... ATS were good though.. Took them about 20 minutes, and had one in stock at another branch so just dropped in next day. Oh, and really impressed with the AA, they sent a dude round on a Scooter (im in sheffield atm) who put the spare on for me! I wasn't going to get myself all dirty changing a tyre in the work car park :/.