PDA

View Full Version : golf gti mk2 8v overheating!!!

nibbzy
14-04-2007, 09:01 PM
after lots of problems and cash i finly get my baby on the road!(mk2 golf gti 1990 digifant 8v) well now i get this strange over heating nonsense...

ok... when shes cold runs fine for a while then water temp starts to rise, as it rises the presure seems to go up too, it gets to a certain temp then stops (about three quarters of the way across) all is fine untill u stop the car as soon as she stops water starts absolutely ****** out the side of the radiator.

if u stop allow the presure out by the radiator filler then fill with cold water u get same thing again, but the car never ever EVER leaks water when its actually moving...

i do have a very slight blow on the exhaust manifold at the joint where it goes into 2 pipes but im assuming thats not gonna cause me a problem as far as overheating goes is it????

sometimes the temp guage will just settle back to normal (bang in the middle) but then as pressure rises it starts to rise again....

any1 help at all??????

Col
14-04-2007, 09:25 PM
Thermostat?

nibbzy
14-04-2007, 11:58 PM
whats easiest way to check it fella? long long time since i ad out do with cars! and would it cause it to build up presure?!

Col
15-04-2007, 01:47 AM
Easiest way to check it is to remove it and replace, they are less than £10 or should be.

If it is stuck shut, it will cause the problems you describe.

Id say it is the most likely culprit to your problems.

nibbzy
15-04-2007, 10:17 AM
your an absolute diamond mate i really apreciate it