PDA

View Full Version : MkIV Golf Wipers Dead Slow on all Settings

Jackjack
14-04-2007, 01:06 PM
Hi, all.

My windscreen wipers have just gone dead slow on every setting. Slower than any any proper speed. The same speed on each switch position.

I'm about to go outside and damage my car trying to fix it.
Has anyone had a similar issue? Or does anyone have any thoughts?

Right, where are my hammers...:Blush:

Col
14-04-2007, 02:54 PM
Very common problem.

The wiper arm spindles sieze in the rack due to water ingress and corrosion.

There are two options;

1, Dismantle the rack and spindles, sand down the spindles and free of the mechanism then lube it up. This option depends upon how far gone the rack and spindles are. When I had to do mine, one the spindles was so tight due to corrosion that it snapped which leads me on to option 2...

2, Get a new rack assembly from VW, about £40-45(ish). The rack I got had revised / better water seals so the problem shouldn't arise again. Shame I flogged the car !

Good luck.

P.S. Gice the wiper arms a good blast with WD40 now and go and do something else for a while whilst it soaks in. The wipers arms can be right buggers to get off. Just mind the plastic scuttle trim at the base of the screen and the screen itself !!

Jackjack
14-04-2007, 06:11 PM
Yes, you're right. The driver's side spindle has seized. I can't believe how stuck it is (I've tried the WD40).

I went to a scrap yard in Bolton where they have a Mk4 in great shape (I don't know why it's there). The guy said I could have the linkage assembly for £70!!! I've never turned away so fast; I'm not even going to haggle with a guy like that - he just won't get any more business from me.

So, I'm going to try what you said about dismantling it (the retaining clip is on tight) and reconditioning it.

Otherwise I'll get a new VW one (they're priced quite reasonably really).

Or maybe hit the old spindle off with a hammer then bend an old nail round it.

Col
14-04-2007, 06:39 PM
Note;

As violent as you might want to be with it with hammers and nails, I broke mine using far more dainty methods !

Jackjack
15-04-2007, 03:27 PM
The hardest parts were:

Getting the retaining clip off the spindle. I haven't got a tool for that so I had to file the clip away to make it less rigid.

Getting the seized spindle out. Using a combination of bricks, mole grips, a hammer and some bronze I gradually worked it out of its housing.
It only came out so far using the bronze and hammer then used some wet and dry to remove the rust that was visible. Then WD40'd everything and knocked the spindle back in and gave it few turns back and forth.

It came out quite easily after that. The spindle and its housing got a good going over with the wet and dry (fairly bad corrosion and pitting of the surfaces). Then WD40'd it all and put it back together.

Refitting the plastic trim to the bottom of the windscreen was underwhelming. I should have used a silicone-based lube to ease it on but could only find a water-based one.

The Haynes manual helped a lot, as did the great weather at the moment; but how long before it seizes up again? I'll do a post when it does, for the record.

Col
15-04-2007, 03:53 PM
The only thing I'd add is that WD40 whilst good at unseizing stuff probaly isn't that good as a long term lube. Have you got any spray / white grease you could blast in there?

amz
16-04-2007, 12:17 AM
Hey Jack. I had EXACTLY the same problem with my previous Golf 1.6 SE (1999). I travelled from Southampton to Birmingham 90minutes non-stop flooring it over 100mph all the way, and as soon as I came off the M42 and hit Birmingham, the 20degrees sunshine heat, switched to heavy rainfall. To my amazement, the wipers stopped working EXACTLY the same symptoms as you mention.

I had to wind ma window down to see where I was driving, as it was seriously heavy rainfall. I parked where it was safe to do so, (ironically at the VW Solihull garage) and went in to ask them for URGENT help, but they said "book it in" (absolutely pointless). I sat back in the car and found that the wipers were working on/off, but "sticking" to something. I didn't get round to sorting out the problem, as the next morning, it sorted itself out. I put it down as an electrical fault, even though the VW garage said that there wasn't anything in the ECU when I had it serviced.

I did buy a replacement wiper part (think its the actual motor), from eBay for the Golf Mk4, which I've still got somewhere in the garage as I didn't get round to replacing it. If it's any good to you, you can have it.... it need's a good home, as I don't think I'll ever need it, and can't be bothered listing it again on eBay for someone else.

hugovw
29-04-2007, 04:37 PM
Hi, same thing happened to me... do you reckon its a new motor needed or what?? Shocking timing, as the car is boked in for an MOT tomooroew and it wont pass with no wipers?? Help, please

Eshrules
29-04-2007, 06:10 PM
Hi, same thing happened to me... do you reckon its a new motor needed or what?? Shocking timing, as the car is boked in for an MOT tomooroew and it wont pass with no wipers?? Help, please

hi, have you tried all the suggestions above? i have also removed your duplicated threads for you to limit the confusion :beerchug:

hugovw
29-04-2007, 07:08 PM
Thanks, im new to this... I have tried just about everything except for going to VW, but the WD40 has done nothing and now im a bit stuck as to how to find out the problem??

Jackjack
29-04-2007, 07:48 PM
Hiya, the motor was fine but the mechanism had seized up. (The 5th thread down from the top of this page tells how it got fixed.)
You will need to take the wiper assembly off your car and maybe try the steps detailed above.
But if you don't feel like taking your car apart or don't have time maybe the garage that's doing your MOT will do it if they can fit you in (and have a VW dealer nearby with the spare part).
Good luck!
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l135/Frigidheir/DSCN1169-2.jpg

hugovw
29-04-2007, 08:14 PM
I really appreciate your help and the picture has really helped. I have tried to undo the wipers and even with the WD40 am not getting anywhere, so I am going to have to take it to the garage and hope for the best. Thanks again,