PDA

View Full Version : automatic gearbox

armagan
14-04-2007, 12:46 PM
Hi all,

I recently bought a 1999 T reg Passat 1.8S, In the last week or so I have noticed going from second to third or third to fourth gear it takes a while to engage gears, sometimes as long as 3 or 4 seconds, has anyone come across this before?

any advice would be welcome

Cheers,

GTW
14-04-2007, 02:44 PM
Is it under warranty? If so, take it back. This is not normal autobox behaviour.

I have a '99 TDI auto and mine takes 3 to 4 seconds to engage drive from neutral when cold, but while driving, there's no delay in changes.

What happens while it's 'in between' changes - do your revs go up?

Whatever it is, in 26 years of driving autos, the one thing I have learned is that a stitch in time can certainly save a whole load of dosh. It could be simple, but the knock on damage of delaying getting it checked out could be terminal.

Don't want to sound like a doom and gloom merchant, but I had an Ascona a long time ago (mid '80s) and ignored what I considered a minor fault. Turned out that the duff bit cost £36 and half hour to fit. One dodgy second hand box, then a re-furbed one (my old one) and £700 later I was back on the road:(.

Gaz

armagan
15-04-2007, 12:44 PM
during the change the engine will rev, like its waiting for the gear change to kick in. It tends to happen mostly after the first 10 mins of driving.

I've had it a couple of months now, so I guess it no longer under warranty, but I have a Service due next month so I guess I can ask the dealer his view.

I had an AA check done on it before I bought it, so it was ok at the time.

Col
15-04-2007, 12:58 PM
The most likely cause is a low fluid level.

I've not a clue on the box fitted to the Passat but imagine it is one of those filled for life jobbies that are a dealer fill only job.

Except with a bit of kit, i.e. a simple fluid pump, it should be manually fillable. If it were mine I'd research on how to drain it down and completely re-fill it with new fluid.

GTW
15-04-2007, 06:22 PM
I agree with Col - it takes a short while to fill the torque converter, which reduces the fluid in the box. Does it have a dipstick? - remember autobox fluid levels need to be checked warm and usually with the engine running.

I'd still check the warranty and deal with it sooner than a service schedule.

Gaz

brogandb7
18-04-2007, 09:32 PM
Hi Armagan,

If you are going to drain/fill the autobox fluid be very careful - you have to get it spot on level. If you over fill the box it will damage it. I would recommend taking it to a garage to get it done. Some of the VW autos have to specially drained using equipment by accessing it from underneath the car and then plugging to a diagnostic machine to get the correct level.

Personally I wouldn't take the risk and would let a garage sort it out. Then if they **** it up its up to them to put it right.

armagan
21-04-2007, 11:42 PM
I just took the car to someone to have a look at it, this guy reckoned the gearbox oil filter also will need replacing plus a plastic cap that goes on the sump.

for this he wants to charge £150 (including parts and labour).

does this sound plausible?

ps I noticed he used vagcom to try to attain the error codes I assume. anyone know where can I get the cable for this software?

kharva007
22-04-2007, 12:00 AM
try ebay for the cable! my macanic charged me £35 for changing the filter and the gearbox oil. 1 hour labour so hes asking for too much mate

armagan
14-05-2007, 11:35 AM
just managed to get the gearbox oil and filter changed (they charged £125) but it still seems to be doing the same thing!

from cold the car seems is lazy about changing gears. what do you guys suggest?

I should add there were no errors on vag com when they did it.

Jum1
21-05-2007, 07:04 PM
Hey Armagan,

I had the same prob on a 99 tdi.
Gearbox oil and sensor were changed but still had the same prob.
I've had the gearbox changed from a 99 passat. seems ok now but still sorta feel wierd about it.

Whatever you do, research the fault before you take action. It'll cost you even more if you don't exactly know whats wrong with it.

G luck!

Dozz
21-05-2007, 11:14 PM
hmm have noticed on my 01 Alhambra that the gears are slow to change when cold it almost seems like it slips for a second or two between 2 and 3. Only ever does this once when you start off then it's fine. Couple of times when pulling away the box's does tend to THUMP into gear Was going to get the fluid changed but if that dosen't seem to cure it then I'll have to look at other options

armagan
21-05-2007, 11:20 PM
I have the same issue on my 99 passat 1.8S,
it seems to be something to do with the oil pressure, my car is with the garage at the moment.

If I start the car and sit there for 2-3 mins to warm up the car its fine.

it only happens if you drive off straight away. Lets see what the garage say.

armagan
31-05-2007, 11:33 AM
hi,

just got back the car after a gearbox oil and gearbox filter change but the problem persists. :aargh4:

The garage says there are no error codes either. :confused:

anyone have any further ideas?

Jum1
01-06-2007, 01:17 AM
soryy dude, I had to get the seller to change the gearbox with a likewise gearbox. It's alright.....but i find gear change from d to r and vice versa a tad slow.

My advice is to get a new box or recondition the existing one. Might not be what u want to hear but it may save you money on the long run.

Sorry

hakysak
02-06-2007, 07:29 PM
Wassup peeps. I'm not trying to be a party pooper. Just going from personal experience with autos. My last car and latest car both experienced these problems. Last car Golf 1.6 se auto latest car Golf V5 auto. If you are having problems with gears and changing the fluid doesn't work, you'l probably need to change the gearbox. This is what I had to have done before and am now going through again :zx11:

Only thing is its quite pricey :bigeyes2:

Wish you all the best with it :biggthump

nadirnawab
28-03-2008, 11:42 AM
Hi Everybody,

I have recently joined the forum, I bought a 1999 Passat 1.8 four years ago and it used to give a small jerk going from one gear to another, a month ago it went very bad and didn't used to move at all. When i showed it to a mechanic he said the gear box needs replacement, he charged me 900 pounds for putting a new gear box. and now he is saying that i need an ECU, because the same old jerk is still ther!!!!

Any help or experience

hakysak
30-03-2008, 04:47 PM
Hey nadirnawab.

I got the gearbox changed on my V5 two weeks after I got. I still have the car and still have problems with it. The dealership that I got it from had a look at it loads of times telling me that there is nothing wrong with it. I just kept taking it back. Eventually they said it was the ECU. It was changed and now the car runs smoothly. No more jerking into gear but every now and then, it feels like a car with a clutch slipping.

The codes on the ECU probably need resetting but if that doesn't work, replacing it might be the only other option :confused:

If push comes to shove, just get rid of it :dunno:. I am seriously considering doing so because I've had enough :zx11:

The only positive thing about the whole situation is that I didn't have to pay because it was under warranty.

Anyway, wish you the best with it.

Hak

ps: Unless your mechanic is someone you trust, get a second opinion.