PDA

View Full Version : Playgolf East Kilbride

eob
02-08-2009, 12:48 PM
I take it that the regional section is not just for motoring chat and since the Scotland section was looking considerably bare I thought I'd kick off a thread.

Anyone from the West\Glasgow area been to the Playgolf Sports facility which opened in East Kilbride yesterday (1st August 09)?

I've been watching that thing being built and egarly anticipating open day to make use of the double decker heated/floodlit driving bay and other facilities for the past two years.
I was crushed when Playgolf Holdings went into administration as a result of "The Credit Crunch".
I could envisage the monolithic games hall standing like a white elephant for everyone to see for years, slowly being vandalised and within walking distance of my house.
I was then elated when I found out a group of local business men had ralllied together to save it.
Then I waited, and the opening date got pushed back month by month then finally it opens......and I'm not in town. I'm not even in the same hemisphere FFS!

I'm currently in offshore Brazil.

So, has anyone visited the site yet? My wife passed yesterday and said that it was choca.
If anyone has been, do they have any membership schemes yet?
There is absoulutly nothing on the web.

eob
10-08-2009, 12:55 AM
No one then?

OK, I'll wait until I return then post a review. ;)

Flying Scot
11-08-2009, 02:56 PM
Not been to the new range at EK. Just back from World of Golf at Drumchapel, picked up my new Ping G10 irons and sprayed 50 balls all over the range with no consistency.

I’ve now realised that my old irons were fine, it appears to be a user issue.

Let us know how the new EK range is when you get back, though going by today’s weather I would not bother getting back on a plane from Brazil!!

eob
11-08-2009, 04:28 PM
Let us know how the new EK range is when you get back, though going by today’s weather I would not bother getting back on a plane from Brazil!!

It's hard to think that it's winter here and the days are better than a good summer day back home.:(

I was going to replace my cheap Hippo driver with the G10 on recommendation. I tried my mates and although there is still a slight fade there is much more distance.
I don't intend to replace my drivers until I have been playing for a good few years yet.
As you say, the tools are fine, it's a user issue. :D

paulthefox
11-08-2009, 09:12 PM
what do u expect with with summer at home just like here Rain ENJOY THE SUN WHILE U CAN:beerchug:

PAUL

eob
11-08-2009, 10:23 PM
what do u expect with with summer at home just like here Rain ENJOY THE SUN WHILE U CAN:beerchug:

PAUL

Don't get to see it much. :( Stuck on an oil rig. Well, an FSPO (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floating_Production_Storage_and_Offloading) to be exact. ;)

Andy Avant
12-08-2009, 10:30 PM
Hello eob
I replaced my old driver with a Nickelaus Duelpoint (spelling might be a bit off ) and what a difference, its got a head like a breeze block and its legal :biglaugh: . Not that I claim to be any good I play off 23. Is the place in EK got a par 3 course in it. Could this be the start of a wee golf section on the forum
All the best in the sun:beerchug:

Flying Scot
13-08-2009, 08:32 AM
Guys,

Can anyone tell me where the new range is? I’ve got a meeting in Motherwell today and may go and hit a few balls while I’m in the area

Cheers

eob
13-08-2009, 11:48 AM
Guys,

Can anyone tell me where the new range is? I’ve got a meeting in Motherwell today and may go and hit a few balls while I’m in the area

Cheers

It's just off Stewartfield Drive next to the Sainsburys at the Kingsgate. You have to go past it to the roundabout at the James Hamilton Heritage Park entrance then double back (v bad design).
Here is a link to the approx location.

Here (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=109019662426896767824.0004710338362ed7f8597&ll=55.781026,-4.176822&spn=0.008423,0.027874&t=h&z=16)

Flying Scot
13-08-2009, 01:53 PM
Was gone from the office by the time you responded, so I didn’t make it this time. I’ll report back if/when I do make it

Cheers

BenLomond
23-08-2009, 12:13 PM
Can someone post contact details please. Can't find anything online at all?

Thanks

eob
24-08-2009, 01:03 AM
Hi,
I arrived back home yesterday and checked it out today.

I picked up some leaflets and signed up for the membership deal.
No green fees but annual membership will be about £450. It will include entry into weekly medals and comps and include handicap calculation. It will also include a discount on the driving range.

The leaflets have www.playsportgolf.co.uk on them but the domain doesn't seem to be active yet.
The phone number is 01355 575 980.

The facilities are very impressive. The American Golf store is massive.

I was also informed (on the hush hush ;)) that Colin Montgomerie will be there tomorrow night between 5 and 6. I think he had something to do with the course design.

All I can say is that I'm glad its bloody-well open. :biglaugh:

Here is a link to the location again. Clicky (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=109019662426896767824.0004710338362ed7f8597&ll=55.781026,-4.176822&spn=0.008423,0.027874&t=h&z=16)

BenLomond
24-08-2009, 03:45 PM
Thanks!!

Official opening on Saturday with Texas scramble. Might pop in and give it a bash.

eob
24-08-2009, 07:15 PM
Well, headed along at 5pm and big Col was there!
Never managed a picture or a signature, was ushered away before I could ask, but watched his interview.
He was there to officially open the facility.

Fired 50 balls at the range. Not automated as I had been led to believe but thats no issue. There is a wee bit of work to complete like the yardage markers but all in all it is quite impressive. :biggthump

eob
26-09-2009, 03:37 PM
I have some more information if anyone is interested.
They are now accepting membership applications.

The package includes the following:

·Unlimited Tee Times – subject to normal booking procedures

·Guest Fees (based on 18holes) at £7.50 weekdays and £10 weekends
oSign on up to three guests per round
oAdditional guests by arrangement with management

·Opportunity to gain a fully recognised CONGU handicap from start of season 2010
oMonthly 18 hole Medal events throughout the season (from 2010)
oWeekly 9 hole Medal events year round (from 2010)
oWeekly 9 hole challenge league - starting now
oClub Competitions (season 2010)
oClub Championship (season 2010)

·Enhanced Membership Discount rate for the Practice Range of 30% off based on the £40 card credits – complimentary £20 credit on joining

·Full use of the members only locker and changing rooms
oIncludes use of the shower and sauna facilities – due for completion by Nov

I don't know if they want the membership cost to be made public so if you are interested the best thing would be to pop them an email or give them a call. Website is up and running. http://www.playsportgolf.co.uk/