PDA

View Full Version : Brake pad recommendations

toff3ltr
01-08-2009, 11:42 PM
My 3.0 quattro needs an oil change and front pad, should i go for the Green stuff Brake Pads, are they worth the money, do i need to change the discs as well if i go with the green stuff? OR save my money and buy a standard set from Euro/GSF.

recommendations please

Thanks.

Crasher
02-08-2009, 12:22 AM
I would suggest genuine discs and pads, they cost less than you think and last far longer. It is quite normal to have to replace discs and pads together these days, pads last so long that the discs are often worn too far to be able to last the life of another set of pads. Some aftermarket discs are fine such as corrosion coated Zimmerman (Dacromet or Geomet D coating) and pads from Textar are exceptionally good but don’t go by price alone, it is rarely the best way.

toff3ltr
02-08-2009, 06:47 PM
^^ Thanks, had a look today and discs are fine :D will look into
Textar pads, so do you rate original pads or Textar over EBC greenstuff.

Crasher
02-08-2009, 07:13 PM
I haven’t used EBC that much, when I use performance pads they are usually Black Diamond Predator. Textar are OE VAG, often when you fit genuine pads they are stamped Textar on the back.

toff3ltr
02-08-2009, 07:48 PM
I haven’t used EBC that much, when I use performance pads they are usually Black Diamond Predator. Textar are OE VAG, often when you fit genuine pads they are stamped Textar on the back.

Oh right thanks for your help, think im going to stick genuine parts.

Marco34
03-08-2009, 10:03 AM
If it's any help I put EBC discs and pads on my A4 2 years ago. Much happier and preferred to the OEM. Much more bite from cold and have warn superbly. I'm no heavy braker but like a nice bite when pushing the car. Times that I have there has been no fade. The greens can get a faint squeel from time to time, but, that's from pootling to work too much and need a good run on them.

I upgraded the pads on my TT to redstuff and they were better than OEM too. Much more confident when under heavy braking. I push the TT much more as it's for weekend and the redstuff are super... zero noise.

I wouldn't hesitate to replace either car with EBC again. Personally think they are worth the extra over OEM. I don't mod much, but brakes I have to have biting nice.

Dave Avant
03-08-2009, 10:55 AM
I've had a few inconsistences with EBC, but they are good. I've put a set of EBC on my bike and when hot and on the track I had to clench my thighs against the tank to stop myself going over the handlebars!! :D

I had a set of redstuff on my coupe turbo and they lasted 40mins!!!!!!! Honestly, I think I got a duff set, you could feel the pedal sink as I was braking, they wore straight down to the backing plate. Had to drive from Bedfordshire to Manchester with no front pads, to late to get to Halfords! Using the handbrake on the motorway isn't pleasant!!!

My brother uses Yellowstuff on his M coupe and swears by them.

Textar are also very good, they are up there with the racing pads like Pagid and are factory fit sport pads. I rate the standard brakes on mine. I've had my discs go blue with no ill affects or fade!!

EBC originally made pads for race bikes, but moved in to cars aswell. I used to have problems with greenstuff after a trackday, when I used the brakes on the road, they felt tired and hummed. The older V4 compound had copper in the pads to help dissapate the heat, but the copper melted onto the discs making them feel warped. But this is going back a bit when I used to go through about 4 sets a year doing trackdays. The more recent compounds are better.

Marco34
03-08-2009, 11:21 AM
I've had a few inconsistences with EBC, but they are good. I've put a set of EBC on my bike and when hot and on the track I had to clench my thighs against the tank to stop myself going over the handlebars!! :D.

Followed by a trip to the pits for new underwear... ;)

People do say -ve things about them. You must have really hammered then on the track to have no pad left!! :aargh4:

I doubt EBC are the best track pad but for general fast road use, or even standard driving they do the job for me. I read an article about a guy who put redstuff on his 3.2 TT and said the caliper paint melted and went brown before the pads gave out. I've had mine on 2 months and they are improving all the time.... no wonder I don't drive the TT enough. :o

Bobcat
04-08-2009, 10:45 AM
My original fit pads (Textar OEM) lasted 65,000 miles on my 2004 2.5 TDi Quattro Avant Auto. Discs show light wear, and will need changing when the pads are done again (probably 100,000 miles plus).
Regards Bobcat.

Dave Avant
04-08-2009, 12:00 PM
My original fit pads (Textar OEM) lasted 65,000 miles on my 2004 2.5 TDi Quattro Avant Auto. Discs show light wear, and will need changing when the pads are done again (probably 100,000 miles plus).
Regards Bobcat.

I'd believe that mileage. :D I bought my car with 66K miles and had new discs and pads. Still got plenty left after 20K miles and I do like to use my brakes.